New build & installation queries... after researching a lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jltacs

Cadet
Read most of the manual, posts (including cyberjocks 66-page PPT), articles and vids.

Prior to all that I just read a few after seeing a TWIT vid that made FN seem so easy. Good thing an older box which i intended for FN isn't 64bit ready and had to build a new one. Only started seeing the forum after it opened for new registrants.

Have 5x2tb seagates, 4th gen intel 3..2 Ghz dual core, 16gb RAM, entry level Asus board. I have successfully installed and created one VDEV RaidZ (a few times in fact) to be sure. The volume is seen on my Mac and PC but cannot write into them despite signing into it and double checking sharing permissions for both CIFS and AFS.

AFTER READING the ppt of cyberkock it seems my setup is still lacking... All my components PSU, UPS are good brands but NIC isn't Intel and RAM may not be ECC.

Should I go for it? Or maybe go for the simpler route like windows 8.1 storage spaces on NTFS or mirror on ReFS?

I'm looking for something perhaps at least as fast as NTFS over giga Ethernet and good redundancy. Reading through it all was quite interesting but I'm still wary that I can be "a statistic."

I just lost two 1tb+ drives with archived files from old clients and old family photos and vids. Disks are currently with a prof data recovery company. Frankly, I don't want that happening again. Recovery isn't assured and rates are steep.

Advise from experienced FN users and ZFS/ RAID experts HOW TO GO FORWARD will be really appreciated. : )

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Experienced FN users will tell you to get properly supported hardware if you want to use FreeNAS.

They will also say, that if you do not want the features that FreeNAS offers or are not willing to use proper hardware, then use whatever OS you are most comfortable with.

jltacs

Cadet
Would be nice too if the forum had a section to document those who have successfully recovered from disk failures/ data corruption to give us noobs some confidence tackling an FN build for the first time.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Would be nice too if the forum had a section to document those who have successfully recovered from disk failures/ data corruption to give us noobs some confidence tackling a FN for the first time.
??

Not sure I understand why you would need a section of the forum to document something that is in the FreeNAS documentation already. Disk failures happen, and you just replace them per the instructions in the documentation and that's it....there is nothing to discuss there. I have done it, as have many others. It is as simple as following the directions.

jltacs

Cadet
Experienced FN users will tell you to get properly supported hardware if you want to use FreeNAS.

They will also say, that if you do not want the features that FreeNAS offers or are not willing to use proper hardware, then use whatever OS you are most comfortable with.

So are non ECC 16gb ram and non-intel gig Ethernet controllers really a big no-no?

jltacs

Cadet
??

Not sure I understand why you would need a section of the forum to document something that is in the FreeNAS documentation already. Disk failures happen, and you just replace them per the instructions in the documentation and that's it....there is nothing to discuss there. I have done it, as have many others. It is as simple as following the directions.

Probably lost all my confidence going into this after reading cyber jocks PPT which I do appreciate learning from btw. Really that's one scary s**t.

jltacs

Cadet
Also mirrored OS on two 16gb transcend USB's but getting some errors booting up with both. It's good with one.

diedrichg

Wizard
So are non ECC 16gb ram and non-intel gig Ethernet controllers really a big no-no?
I originally built a computer with non-ECC RAM and within the first month I was getting data corruption, GUI freezes and reboots. I then built a proper server and it's been error free and rock solid for 2.5 years.

As for the Intel NIC, they perform as advertised and without dropped packets, whereas anything else is not guaranteed to work as well as the Intels.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Probably lost all my confidence going into this after reading cyber jocks PPT which I do appreciate learning from btw. Really that's one scary s**t.

The hell are you talking about? ALL mechanical devices WILL FAIL. Hard Drives are no exception.

ZFS allows you to keep your data safe even should an arbitrarily large (decided by you) amount of drives fail. You could do a 20-way mirror! RAIDZ2 is a far more sane option, though.

jltacs

Cadet
Appreciate all the inputs guys.

After much study, research and trial and error, I went with a Synology DS415+ with 4 x 3TB WD NAS HDD. it will have some redundancy being a raid 5 and will be backed-up to an external drive as well at least the most impt data.

A week before, i built a new box for FREENAS but after setting it up, it's just too much hassle with too many points of failure for a non techie. I went the less stressful route by returning everything for an easier NAS system albeit 2X the cost and perhaps slower. Synology is easier but still has a learning curve. At least I have their technical support on the line to guide me step by step.

I've read and re-read over 300 pages online learning FN on top of videos and I've come to the conclusion that I'm still not worthy.

Good luck to you guys and thanks to cyberjock who helped me realize FN isn't for me.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do be aware that FreeNAS is vastly superior when it comes to data security.

In any case, good luck.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I would like to point out that if you are uncomfortable with the homebuilt aspect, and want a prebuilt product, iXSystems sells the FreeNAS Mini which comes with support. You then get FreeNAS with the support you would like.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Are you sure? I think I remember @cyberjock saying something about this having changed recently. This page shows support for the Mini as Optional with no SLA.
  • 3-Year Hardware Warranty: Defective hardware component replacement
  • Software Updates: Software Updates are provided for three years
I am willing to bet that Synology doesn't come with an SLA either. But for a non-technical person, replacement of defective hardware is a complicated process if building their own.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I'm not sure I equate a hardware warranty and software updates (which we all get with FreeNAS) as "support". But yes, a 3-year warranty on a turnkey system is better than dealing with a box full of individual components.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There was optional support, but the option was removed about 2 months ago according to the salesperson I talked to at iXsystems.

You can buy 3rd party support though.

I think I speak for quite a few of the regulars when I say this.. but people that buy iXsystems stuff get a bit more time from me than random user that built it themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.