Need replacement Micron 1TB SSD's with very large usable capacity

tedm

Cadet
We purchased a couple of systems and installed 45 x 1TB Microns around 2012 / 2013, we also bought some spare drives at the same time. We've used up the original spares, and subsequent newer Micron 1TB drives, as well as a WD Blue 1TB NAND drive did not work as replacements as their usable space was not large enough.

From what I can tell, we need a 1024.2101 GB SSD drive, that uses none of that space for over-provisioning.

In the FreeNAS UI, the disk size of the original drives is: 953.87 GiB

While I can find some of these on ebay and 3rd party sites, I'm wondering if it would be best to migrate to 2TB SATA SSDs, as I expect more to fail faster, due to age.

Also, we have 1 45 drive SAN with 45 4TB HGST HDDs. Any suggestions for spares would be recommended. These drives have. 3.64 TiB Disk Size.

Thanks!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah. I'm just going to be blunt so as to get right to it.

Unfortunately you made a mistake in 2012/2013 and it's Hard to fix.

You will either need to source the same part number, see if there's some vendor reservation that you can free up, or use 1.8TB or 2TB SSD's instead. I'm also thinking that a 1TB 860 Pro (not Evo) *might* have the extra size for you. But the 2TB WD Blue is probably cheaper than the 1TB 860 Pro. The 860 Pro's are 256, 512, 1TB, and that probably means "1TB=1024".

This was a common problem back in the days of HDD, where the number of CHS between drives of a capacity point varied just a bit. With SSD's, for example, a 500GB SSD should be paired with a 480GB SSD if you want the three likely possibilities (480, 500, 512) all to work as replacements.