Need help accessing Transmission through a home VPN connection with IPFW setup

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
So I have a transmission jail setup with OpenVPN and IPFW rules setup to prevent leaks. I know it works to route traffic through the VPN and blocks it when the VPN is down. I can access the transmission GUI from my computer when connected to my local network but when Im away from home and attempt to access through a VPN connection I get timeout messages.

So here are the IPFW rules
Code:
add 00010 allow ip from any to any via tun0

add 00101 allow ip from me to 192.168.1.0/24 uid transmission
add 00102 allow ip from me to 192.168.50.0/24 uid transmission
add 00103 allow ip from 192.168.1.0/24 to me uid transmission
add 00104 allow ip from 192.168.50.0/24 to me uid transmission
add 00105 deny ip from any to any uid transmission

add 65534 allow all from any to any

local network is on 192.168.1.0 and the VPN network is 192.168.50.0
just looking for a little help with this.
Thanks

nojohnny101

Wizard
So how are you connecting to your home network remotely? You are connecting to the VPN setup in your jail?

My preferred method is to open an SSH tunnel to my freenas box then I can setup a proxy in a browser and easily browse as if I'm at home, accessing all my local services.

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
So how are you connecting to your home network remotely? You are connecting to the VPN setup in your jail?

My preferred method is to open an SSH tunnel to my freenas box then I can setup a proxy in a browser and easily browse as if I'm at home, accessing all my local services.
I access my home network through OpenVPN setup on my router. I then can access everything like i'm home, like Blue Iris, radarr, sonarr, ect, but the IPFW rules seem to block access to transmission while connected via the router VPN connection. I can access the freenas using a browser and also using SSH, so I can access the transmission jail using SSH but can't access transmission using its IP in a browser or using the remote GUI.

ctowle

Dabbler
I access my home network through OpenVPN setup on my router. I then can access everything like i'm home, like Blue Iris, radarr, sonarr, ect, but the IPFW rules seem to block access to transmission while connected via the router VPN connection. I can access the freenas using a browser and also using SSH, so I can access the transmission jail using SSH but can't access transmission using its IP in a browser or using the remote GUI.
Shot in the dark, but did you ever get this working?

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor