SOLVED mSATA SSD Drives Not Recognized

Jim Reese

Dabbler
I have used OpenZFS before as a software pool of disks, but this is my first hardware system: a TrueNAS Mini X+ with 5 3.5" bays and 2 2.5" mSATA SSD bays. I populated the 3.5" bays with 16TB disks, and the mSATA drives are both Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 1.92 TB drives. I booted the system successfully, configured the two interfaces (ix0 and ix1), and then looked at System->View Enclosure: All 5 HDDs show, but bays 6 & 7, the ones with the mSATA drives, say "empty." This is confirmed by looking at Storage->Disks, where only the 5 HDDs and the nvd0 boot SSD (boot-pool) show up: no mSATA drives appear. Additionally, no lights appear on the mSATA trays.

I screwed the mSATA drives to the tray according to the instructions, so they should connect at the back when I insert the tray (they do, as far as I can tell).

Do I need to do something in the BIOS to make these drives appear?

This is a brand new TRUENAS-MINI-3.0-X+ (5/2) system (32 GB ECC) running TrueNAS-12.0-U6.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jim

Arwen

MVP
I don't have an answer to the original question. Other than check the internal drive cables, (both power & data), for your 2 x 2.5" drive slots.

But, they are not mSATA, (aka MiniSATA);
They are likely just ordinary 2.5" drive slots.

Do they show up in the terminal?
Code:
camcontrol devlist

Jim Reese

Dabbler
Do they show up in the terminal?
Code:
camcontrol devlist
Yes, it looks like they do, as ses0 and ses1.
Code:

root@truenas[~]# camcontrol devlist
<WDC WD161KFGX-68AFPN0 83.00A83>   at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)
<WdC WD161KFGX-68AFPN0 83.00A83>   at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)
<WDC WD161KFGX-68AFPN0 83.00A83>   at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,ada2)
<WDC WD161KFGX-68AFPN0 83.00A83>   at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass3,ada3)
<WDC WD161KFGX-68AFPN0 83.00A83>   at scbus4 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,ada4)
<AHCI SGPIO Enclosure 2.00 0001>   at scbus8 target 0 lun 0 (pass5,ses0)
<AHCI SGPIO Enclosure 2.00 0001>   at scbus13 target 0 lun 0 (pass6,ses1)

camcontrol devtype ses0
unknown

root@truenas[~]# camcontrol tur ses0
Unit is not ready

Same unknown status/not ready for ses1.

What do I do with this info now?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, though I still don't know how to proceed to get these disks ready for action. :)

Jim

Jim Reese

Dabbler
I don't have an answer to the original question. Other than check the internal drive cables, (both power & data), for your 2 x 2.5" drive slots.

But, they are not mSATA, (aka MiniSATA);
They are likely just ordinary 2.5" drive slots.
I sit corrected. :)

They are indeed simply 2.5" SSD drives/enclosures.

Jim

Arwen

MVP
No, the SES are part of SAS and not your SSDs as far as I know. SES controls things like LEDs on SAS back planes. Not sure if the hardware does that, or uses a simpler method.

So, check your cables, power and data for the 2 x 2.5" slots.

Jim Reese

Dabbler
Bingo! Arwen, you are truly a wizard! I popped open the sides of the case and immediately noticed that there was no Molex power cable attached to the 2.5" trays. So I attached the one available Molex, reassembled it, and powered it back on, only to find that the 2.5" SSD drives were now lit up and present and accounted for (as ada5 and ada6).

Thanks so much for your help!

Jim

Arwen

MVP
Great, glad the answer was straight forward and solved relatively easily.

If you have time, mark this forum thread Solved, to let others reading later that it is, well, Solved :smile:.

Jim Reese

Dabbler
I'd be happy to, but it appears that I don't have the requisite number of posts to be 'Registered+,' which means I don't have the thread menu. I'll try to remember when I reach that hallmark (any idea how many posts it takes to get there?).

Thanks again,

Jim

Arwen

MVP
No, sorry. But if we keep posting to each other here, it will get their quicker :smile:.

Jim Reese

Dabbler
No, sorry. But if we keep posting to each other here, it will get their quicker :smile:.
That's why you're the wizard. OK, I'll also post another thread about how to set up my 5+2 system.

As always, thanks!

Jim

Jim Reese

Dabbler
The new post seems to have done it. This thread is now marked SOLVED! thanks to you.

Jim