Moving RaidZ2 pool to Mirror VDEVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad_c

Cadet
I'm trying to use ZFS snapshots to move data from a RAIDZ2 pool to mirror vdevs. I have (4) 3TB WD Red drives in RAIDZ2 and a single 3TB WD Red in a new pool. I planned on testing replication via snapshots before installing my additional 3TB WD Red into the mirror pool as I have two 2.5" 1TB Reds occupying the spot the single 3TB WD Red will be placed into.

The Raidz2 pool is called Store. The mirror volume is called tank.

After creating a recursive snapshot of a dataset, I've used the following commands to send the dataset to 'tank':
  • zfs send -Rv Store@dataset1 | zfs receive -Fdu tank
After running the above, dataset1 appears in the 'tank' pool, but it is not mounted. I understand this is by design. I snapshotted and send/received multiple datasets. I deleted the snapshots after the send/receive operations completed (is that wrong??).

I powered off my server and added the additional 3TB drive. Upon booting it back up, *some* of my original datasets that were snapshotted are now unmounted as well as the datasets that were copied to the 'tank' pool (I redacted datasets that were unimportant from the list below):

[root@omega] ~# zfs list
NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
Store 4.06T 1.14T 273K /mnt/Store
Store/VMWare01 256G 1.14T 185G -
Store/vmware_backup 90.3G 1.14T 90.1G -
tank 1.67T 1.01T 160K /mnt/tank
tank/VMWare01 256G 1.01T 185G -
tank/vmware_backup 62.1G 1.01T 62.0G -

If I run zfs mount Store/vmware_backup or zfs mount tank/vmware_backup I receive an error:
"cannot open 'Store/vmware_backup': operation not applicable to datasets of this type"

How do I mount the unmounted datasets? I'd like to delete the datasets from the old pool once I know they're working in my new pool. There's no important data in these test datasets so I'm not worried about that. I just want to prove it works before I move my important datasets!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Since you did this from the command line, you need to export the pool via the command line and then import using the GUI.

Chad_c

Cadet
Since you did this from the command line, you need to export the pool via the command line and then import using the GUI.

Thank you! For anyone else that may be having a noob moment, I ran
Code:
zpool export tank
from the command line and then ran "Auto Import Volume" in the GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.