Moving From OMV to FreeNAS Cant port Forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jousa11

Cadet
Hi all, so i moved from OMV (Debian Based) to FreeNas. I have setup all my jails and am happy, I use a vpn on one jail to connect to the internet. I used to be able to use the following two rules

sudo ip rule add from 192.168.1.28 table 10
sudo ip route add default via 192.168.1.1 table 10

in OMV to allow me to access the ip using my own public ip address even though a vpn was running, i did not have to use the VPN's port forwarding features and could just use my router. is there a way to do this on FreeNas / FreeBSD

Thank You.
p.s. I know port forwarding is bad, but it is necessary.

D

dlavigne

You were used to using iptables, which is the Linux firewall. FreeNAS does not come with a firewall enabled, though port-forwarding can happen on the network's router/firewall device.

Jousa11

Cadet
You were used to using iptables, which is the Linux firewall. FreeNAS does not come with a firewall enabled, though port-forwarding can happen on the network's router/firewall device.
Ahh okay, pirt forwarding is enabled on my router but because the jail is connected to a vpn, this little iptables tri k used to allow me to remote on using my public ip and not the vpn public ip. Is there a way to install iptables on FreeNAS? I really dont want to go back to OMV

D

dlavigne

Nope, iptables is a Linux kernel thing. FreeNAS isn't meant to be be used as a firewall (which is why no firewall is included). It is meant to be protected by a properly configured firewall.

Jousa11

Cadet
Nope, iptables is a Linux kernel thing. FreeNAS isn't meant to be be used as a firewall (which is why no firewall is included). It is meant to be protected by a properly configured firewall.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.