Moving data from old server to new FreeNAS Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

digilink

Cadet
Just bought myself a FreeNAS Mini and so far absolutely loving it! I currently have a server I need to migrate all my data from, it's a Debian Linux install with ZFS on Linux and 1 zpool.

I'm not sure of the best way to move my data from one machine to the other. There's ~ 3 TB or so of data to migrate. I built a dataset on the FreeNAS machine with windows type permissions (this will be the intended usage) and built the same user to match what is on the Debian box.

I originally thought rsync would be best, but I had issues with running it. I would see issues similar to this:

Code:
rsync: mkstemp "/mnt/FreeNAS-M1/STEPHENNET/.transcript.txt.nxFwKM" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

This is the command I was running on the Debian box:

Code:
rsync -av STEPHENNET/ sbrown@10.0.10.33:/mnt/FreeNAS-M1/STEPHENNET

Is there something else I should do instead? I'd rather not keep beating myself up as to why rsync won't work ;) What's also strange to note is that some of the files have random characters appended to the end of them?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If the ZFS versions and feature flags are a good enough match, you can take a snapshot on the Debian box and replicate it to the Mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.