Mirror to raidz2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gimmezell

Dabbler
What are the steps to go from two 3tb disk in a mirror to a six 3tb raidz2? Is it possible to retain my Plex jail configuration?

I have already backed up all the data from the mirror.

Thank you,

Jeremy

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
What are the steps to go from two 3tb disk in a mirror to a six 3tb raidz2? Is it possible to retain my Plex jail configuration?

I have already backed up all the data from the mirror.

Thank you,

Jeremy
The process is to save config, destroy mirrored pool, create raidz2 pool, restore from backup, apply config.

I believe you can easily backup your jails by typing following in cli:
"warden list" (pulls up list of jails)
"warden export <jail>" (creates a .wdn file containing your jail)
Create new pool and configure jails
"warden import <jail.wdn>"

I haven't done this myself, and someone may have better solution.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If you have enough spare storage available, you could replicate a snapshot from the current pool, then create your new pool and replicate back. Preserving Jails still requires additional work.

Gimmezell

Dabbler
I have removed all my data and only have the Plex plug-in installed and configured. Perhaps I simply just start from scratch.

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Perhaps I simply just start from scratch.
In theory you should be able to replicate your Jails dataset and then tell FreeNAS the new location of your jails and plugins. I failed at this, but others seem to have no trouble with it.

Gimmezell

Dabbler
The process is to save config, destroy mirrored pool, create raidz2 pool, restore from backup, apply config.

I believe you can easily backup your jails by typing following in cli:
"warden list" (pulls up list of jails)
"warden export <jail>" (creates a .wdn file containing your jail)
Create new pool and configure jails
"warden import <jail.wdn>"

I haven't done this myself, and someone may have better solution.

I think I'm going to give this way a shot first. Stupid question, what is the proper way of destroying a mirrored pool?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
From the GUI > Storage Tab > Volumes
Highlight your top row (with the pool name)
When its highlighted, at the bottom of the window
will appear four icons, place your cursor over the button shown
and it will show the icon label.
buttons-gif.gif
buttons2-gif.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
In theory you should be able to replicate your Jails dataset and then tell FreeNAS the new location of your jails and plugins. I failed at this, but others seem to have no trouble with it.
What worked for me was to replicate, then rename the new pool to have the same name as the old pool. The steps are:
  • Replicate the jails dataset (I did it as part of replicating the entire volume)
  • Export (from the GUI) and physically remove the old pool
  • From the GUI, export the new pool, but keep everything connected. Of course, don't check the "mark disks as new" box
  • From the CLI, 'zpool import newpool oldpool', replacing newpool and oldpool with the names of the new and old pools, respectively
  • From the CLI, 'zpool export oldpool'
  • From the GUI, import volume. The new pool will be there with the old pool's name
Since the path to the jails hasn't changed, they should all be there. Same for all your shares, and any storage mounted to the jails.

Status
Not open for further replies.