Low power MB+CPU but with "server" features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Smark

Dabbler
I'm building my first FreeNAS, which will serve as backup server and media server for a KODI client. As you can guess, the performance requirements are not very demanding. However, the server will sit in a living room and therefore should be as quiet as possible and have low power requirements.

Regarding the Motherboard + CPU: what's the recommendation for a low power system but which does not skimp on features such as ECC RAM (I'm thinking 8GB or 16GB), support for a large number of drives (six or eight), IPMI, and hardware support for AES on the CPU?

I'm considering one Supermicro's X11 boards and the Intel Pentium G4400. But is there a better combination out there?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm considering one Supermicro's X11 boards and the Intel Pentium G4400. But is there a better combination out there?
Right now, I'd say no. There's X10, which will probably be cheaper, but it's more limited, particularly when it comes to RAM. Obviously, specific choice of processor will depend on the exact workload, but Pentiums are generally fine for most users.

At this moment, due to a very weird and very nasty bug on some of their boards, I'd recommend staying away from the ASRock boards, which leaves Supermicro, in practice.

Guide to the various X11 models:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/so-you’ve-decided-to-buy-a-supermicro-x11-board.39549/

Jon Smark

Dabbler
Right now, I'd say no. There's X10, which will probably be cheaper, but it's more limited, particularly when it comes to RAM. Obviously, specific choice of processor will depend on the exact workload, but Pentiums are generally fine for most users.

Thanks! Btw, since it may take a few weeks before I jump in and start purchasing components, I wonder: is it worth waiting for Kaby Lake CPUs?

And thanks for the link to the X11 guide. I'm definitely getting one of those, unless something better appears in the near future.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks! Btw, since it may take a few weeks before I jump in and start purchasing components, I wonder: is it worth waiting for Kaby Lake CPUs?

And thanks for the link to the X11 guide. I'm definitely getting one of those, unless something better appears in the near future.
No, desktop ones are several months away and the benefits are trivial.

sremick

Patron
My needs were basically identical to yours. So feel free to look at the build in my sig for an example. The ASRock issue only affects the Avoton-based boards so it doesn't apply here. I would modify the build today to be LGA1151-based, so you substitute the MB/RAM/CPU appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.