Lost access to my shares after adding to AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidperf

Dabbler
I've had my FreeNAS box running for a while with no problems, that is until I added it to my domain. then I lost access and have never gotten it back.

I'm new to Windows Server (2008R2 is what I'm running) so I'm sure something between the two boxes isn't right, but I can't figure out what. I've spent all weekend working on it and I finally got into the top level of my shares, but I can't get into the folders inside them.

Here's what I have on the FreeNAS box.

Accounts-Groups
I only have administrator

Accounts-users
I have myself and administrator
Both have the primary group ID as administrator
on the admin account I've narrowed the home directory down to a specific folder
on my account I have it at a top level folder on the same share.
Both have read/write/execute checked for owner and group

Under network-global config I have
Hostname - freenas
Domain - <mydomain>.com
Default gateway - IP address of my uverse gateway
Nameserver1 - IP of my Win2008 server
Nameserver2 - 8.8.8.8
Nameserver2 - 208.67.220.220

One of my shares is an FTP
owner is <mydomain>\administrator
group is ftp (I tried using a group from AD but it won't let me)
Read/write/execute are checked for both owner and group
ACL is Unix
The rest of the shares are the same except the group is administrator (again, it wouldn't let me choose any AD groups)

Under Shares
each path points to the share
the only thing checked is Browsable on the network.

Under services
Cifs
Netbios name - freenas
workgroup - <mydomain>
description - FreeNAS server
Time server is checked
guest account - nobody
EA support is checked
Support DOS is checked
Aux parameters - socket options = TCP_NODELAY
min receivefile size = 16384
write cache size = 131072 (I have no idea why I put those in there. I think it was from back when the box was first built)
Unix extensions is checked
Enable AIO is checked
minimum AIO read/write is 16,384
Zeroconf is checked
Hostnames is checked

Directory services - Active directory
Domain name - <mydomain>.com
netbios - freenas
workgroup - <mydomain>
administrator name - <admin account on Win server)
passwords match and are correct
Domain controller - name of my Win server
AD timeout and DNS timeout - 10

And something strange I noticed on the Win server. Under active directory users and computer, the other computers on my network all have correct info in the DNS name area (<computer name>.<mydomain>.com) but the freenas box says localhost.my.domain. I've tried to modify the hosts file on my freenas box, hoping that might fix this problem but it doesn't stay and reverts back to
::1 localhost localhost.my.domain freenas freenas.local 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain freenas freenas.local

I'm sure this is a combination of many things, but I'm at a loss right now and I'm turning to you guys now.

D

dlavigne

Regarding the hosts file, did you try to change it at the command line or did you use Network -> Global Configuration -> Host name database?

hidperf

Dabbler
Regarding the hosts file, did you try to change it at the command line or did you use Network -> Global Configuration -> Host name database?

I made the changes using the command line from shell inside freenas, and using Putty. Unless their are two hosts files, but I changed the one that was in the /etc directory.

I also forgot to mention that I can check the users and groups with wbinfo and it does show the users and groups from my AD.

This is just a home network I use for learning and trying different configs, so it's not like I have a bunch of users but it would be nice if I could get it working again.

D

dlavigne

Yeah, changes made to config files from the CLI won't stick, so always use the GUI equivalents so that they get written to the config database.

hidperf

Dabbler
Yeah, changes made to config files from the CLI won't stick, so always use the GUI equivalents so that they get written to the config database.

OK. I'll try that when I get home tonight. Thanks!

That's funny you say that, because I can't tell you how many times I read just the opposite on here about other issues, which is why I used command line. I haven't messed with FreeNAS enough to know the ins and outs I guess.:confused:

hidperf

Dabbler

I just checked and everything in the Network -> Global Configuration -> Host name was correct already.

I'm also noticed I'm getting a kerberos_kinit_password FREENAS$@<mydomain>.com failed: Preauthentication failed. As far as I know, I never set up anything to do with kerberos. I did do some research on how to set it up in Win server 2008 but never found anything that made sense so I didn't attempt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.