Looking to setup nas and Sftp rack mountable advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisjbarry

Dabbler
At my job we are needing to setup a nas as well as an Sftp solution that is rack mountable. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on good rack mountable hardware. We will only need about 1-2tb of useable space but with a plan to grow it larger if needed. I was planning on using zfs with maybe 6-1tb drives should give me about 3tb of usable space.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
We have suggestions, but we've provided them so many times that people have gotten tired of responding to certain questions. Sorry, but yours falls in that category (apparently).

gpsguy

Peruse the Super Micro and at a minimum buy a SM chassis and motherboard. Don't buy a cheap chassis like a Norco., you'll probably regret it.

Sent from my phone

chrisjbarry

Dabbler
Peruse the Super Micro and at a minimum buy a SM chassis and motherboard. Don't buy a cheap chassis like a Norco., you'll probably regret it.

Sent from my phone

Thanks I keep seeing super micro recommend. Anyone tried the dell md1000 or md3000? Trying to grasp what the major difference is. I like that they offer 15 drive bays but for current size we may only load it with 7 drives and later add a second raid set with the remaining 8 drives. Or is it possible to expand say 1 or 2 drives at a time? Would that require breaking the raid first?

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.