Locked disk on a Mac?

PDizzz

Dabbler
Y'all, I have been trying to figure this out for months and I'm nowhere. Here's what's up.
I have my iTunes library on an SMB share on my MacBook Pro. Months ago, I was able to point iTunes to that folder. (option-click to open iTunes, then select that folder as its library) But one day when opening iTunes, the following message comes up:

The folder "iTunes" is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder.

I hadn't changed anything to provoke this. No setting inside FreeNAS was changed by me, nor in the permissions of the drive or the folder. I have checked the permissions, and I have read/write access from the top all the way down to the specific folder. Note: One thing I did that seemed to reverse the lock was reinstalling FreeNAS fresh onto my Sandisk Cruzer Glide 8gb flash drive that's plugged into the internal USB port on my SuperMicro. That was a few weeks ago, and I'm locked out again as of yesterday with no seeming provocation. I tried another fresh install of FreeNAS today, but this time the situation did not improve. Same error message when trying to use that iTunes folder as its library. Another note: I get the same "locked disk" message on another Mac at my house when trying to use that folder. Another note: The behavior of the drive seems to change during the periods when it's "locked." I can't move files around the drive. When you try, there's a grey "no" symbol when you attempt to drag something. This wasn't the case before.

Specs:
FreeNAS 11.2 Release U1
SuperMicro X10SLL-F
i3 4170 at 3.7GHz
16gb ECC
4x1TB WD Red drives in a raidz
SMB share to my Mac
2017 MacBook Pro 2.3 i5

Last edited:

seanm

Guru
Can you eliminate iTunes as a factor? If you use Finder to navigate to the share, can you read/write files?

PDizzz

Dabbler
At the moment, I can read files (as in, there are mp3s in the folder that I can pull onto my desktop) but I cannot write anything. This was not the case a few days ago, when reading and writing were both available to me.

PDizzz

Dabbler
Where would I find that? A google search comes up with usr/local/etc, but there is no etc folder in my usr/local