Link Speed / Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Marques

Cadet
Hi all,

Have FreeNAS running on a VIA EPIA-SN. I just got it up with a CIFS share and my initial tests aren't showing very fast performance.

When I run ifconfig, I get this:
Code:
vge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=389b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
        ether 00:40:63:f2:a6:63
        inet 192.168.10.50 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

So it looks like it is in gigabit full duplex mode, but I am only getting 10 MB/s max transfer rates. I would expect at least 50 MB/s. I get about 80 MB/s or more out of a different NAS.

The share is ZFS, no compression. There aren't any other users yet until I get this configured and working.

Any ideas? Could this mean I need more RAM installed?

krikboh

Patron
It appears that board only has 4 GB of RAM and FreeNAS with ZFS requires a minimum of 8 GB. The CPU is also under powered for CIFS. I'm actually surprised FreeNAS even booted.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Nick Marques

Cadet
Well besides transfer rates, it seems to be doing OK. And it was previously a Linux based NAS anyway, so I figured I'd give it a shot. And, right now, it only has 512MB RAM in it. I have 4GB on the way.

I don't necessarily need to do ZFS. I could do UFS, perhaps configure as RAID5?

If I don't use FreeNAS, what are my other options? Just install Ubuntu or something and share a volume?

Yatti420

Wizard
You could run UFS but you'll lose ZFS self healing etc..

Nick Marques

Cadet
Understood. Given this is a 6-7 year old product I am trying to repurpose, I don't expect it to do any more than it did out of the box with the OEM Ubuntu install. It really just had a single CIFS share on it designed for use with Windows Media Center.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And 32 bit and UFS is dead with FreeNAS now. The project manager was discussing this a week or two ago (and again last night) that 32 bit is gone.

Yatti420

Wizard
And 32 bit and UFS is dead with FreeNAS now. The project manager was discussing this a week or two ago (and again last night) that 32 bit is gone.

I meant to type this aswell :)

Nick Marques

Cadet
Oh how things change. I really just went to FreeNAS as I remember it being pretty awesome about 5-6 years ago without very strict hardware requirements. I guess software changes with hardware. Any suggestions with putting this motherboard to use? Maybe just plain Ubuntu linux or another NAS distro?

gpsguy

You might try NAS4free (nas4free.org).

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.