Last minute check before ordering new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

satyr

Dabbler
I've read all the FAQ's and the noob guide to server builds, and here's what I've come down to. My needs are essentially just normal file/media storage with CIFS shares and maybe some jails down the line (need to learn more about them first). How does this build look?

Fractal Node 804
6 Toshiba 5TB 7200 RPM drives (have had good luck with these and HGST, so I want to stick with them--plus their prices are great; I'll be getting two sets of 3 from different sellers)--running Z2
Supermicro X10SLL-F-O
Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B (16GB kit, 1.35V, unbuffered, ECC)
2 Sandisk cruzer fits for mirrored boot device
Intel i3 4160 (3.6 ghz, ecc supported)
Enermax Xt 430W PSU
APC BR1000G

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
If you don't plan on expanding later then 350 W will be ok, but just to be sure it's better if you get a 450 W PSU ;)

I recommend SeaSonic (and I don't recommend the Corsair CS or CX series).

satyr

Dabbler
Thanks for the tip. I knew that the CS and CX are consumer series, so I was looking at the RM model. I've had luck with EVGA, XFX, OCZ and Seasonic in the past. Any reason to pick one over the other?

I'm looking at full modular gold certified models, for reference. For example, I like this one quite a bit for expandability and the great warranty: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-438-049

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

I never seen better PSUs than the SeaSonic ones.

satyr

Dabbler
Okay, i'll take another look at them. I'm trying to stick to my budget and those are all pretty pricey, but I definitely don't want to skimp on a PSU.

How does the rest of the build look?

Bidule0hm

The G series is very good quality and not that expensive ;)

Looks ok, just makes sure the CPU fits the MB socket and that the MB fits the case. The i3 isn't 100 % sure to support ECC (Intel screwed things up on their ARK website a while ago...).

diedrichg

Wizard
Edit: nevermind...

satyr

Dabbler
Pulled the trigger on everything listed. Only picked up half the drives so far. Gonna get the other 3 from another seller to decrease chances of having three drop at the same time.

satyr

Dabbler
Bump for this. Have a question about which pool option is best for me and am looking for some info on stress testing. Any help is appreciated!

satyr

Dabbler
Thanks, Robert. I've seen/read that thread and am aware of memtest. Where I'm a bit lost is how I can run prime95 (or mprime, though I've not used that before) on my system. Noob in that department and haven't been able to find any good guides for running it on a system without an OS (or with FreeNAS, if that's possible).

I'm not sure what I was thinking with my idea of two pools, as each pool would necessitate two parity drives for Z2, correct? That would eat up too many of my drives. I suppose I'll stick with the 6 drives in a single pool in Z2 (my original plan).

Robert Smith

Patron
You can make a bootable USB stick with something like Ubuntu, and load mprime on it. Or get an Ultimate Boot CD/USB, with mprime/prime95 already on it.

satyr

Dabbler
Got a bootable copy of UBCD on a flash drive and tested it without issue. Awaiting a few 90 degree SATA cables to finish the build and then I'll be ready for testing.

Also ordered a BR1000G from APC. Should be more than enough to handle my server and network.

satyr

Dabbler
Wanted to update this thread, now that my system has been running for over a month. All stress-testing went well and the new hardware is working much better than my last system. Transfer speeds peak near 130 mb/s, an improvement of 30% over my last system.

I have a monthly scrub schedule and short and long smart tests that run every few days. Additionally, thanks to Bidule0hm, I have zpool and smart status scripts sending me info every evening. Coming from a relatively pieced together NAS4Free system that I had before, this is a major upgrade in stability, speed, redundancy, and features (Emby plugin is great!).

I still have an issue with my UPS sending me commbad errors every few hours, but the actual UPS setup works as it should. Not real sure what to do about it but hopefully I can figure it out.

For those of you that are concerned about the Toshiba 5TB drives: ERC can be activated via CLI and will hold itself through reboots but not shutdowns. I am putting together a boot script that will execute the commands in the event of a shutdown. My scripting skills are nonexistent, but I'm working through some of the guides on these forums. The drives do make more noise than my previous HGST drives did, but it's not a significant amount. Also, they run a little warmer than I hoped (even with a Node 804 with 6 120mm fans), peaking near 40-41C under load. Idle is in the 35C range. Still, for the price, they seem like a great option--more on that in a few months.

Anyways, thanks to those of you that looked over my build and offered advice. And thanks to the community as a whole for having such excellent resources!

Good to hear. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.