SOLVED LAGG Interface not working with Netgear GS110TPP Switch

gwaitsi

Patron
Hi, newbie here.

I tried getting LAGG to work from my SuperMicro X11SCL-IF board to a GS110TPP switch, but it doesn't work.
I have LAGG successfully running between two Netgear Switches for the trunk and to a Quadcom 4 Port J1900 running pfsense.

With the Supermicro Board, the LAGG interface shows as Up, but no data appears to pass and ping is not going through in either direction from the switch or the freenas box.

I have tried Load Balancing and LACP but neither works, while the other LAGG setups i have running are successfully connected with LACP

gwaitsi

Patron
the problem with the LAGG is related to the vlan, but i don't know how to fix it.

On the netgear interface, i can tag only the vlan for the LAG interface with the pvid vlan2

How do i config so the LAG interface on freenas so it is attached to vlan2 only.
I am using the IPMI port for the LAN interface. but by configuring the LAGG to the LAN interface it is working.

On the netgear interface, i can tag only the vlan for the LAG interface with the pvid vlan2
Actually I think the PVID is the UNTAGGED VLAN. You can allow or not allow other VLAN's To correlate that to FreeNAS, the untagged VLAN in the switch would need to correspond to the IP address on the LAGG interface in FreeNAS. Any other allowed VLAN's that are used by FreeNAS would but VLAN sub-interfaces of the LAGG.

gwaitsi

Patron
Actually I think the PVID is the UNTAGGED VLAN. You can allow or not allow other VLAN's To correlate that to FreeNAS, the untagged VLAN in the switch would need to correspond to the IP address on the LAGG interface in FreeNAS. Any other allowed VLAN's that are used by FreeNAS would but VLAN sub-interfaces of the LAGG.

i got it working by marking the LAN as Untagged and the VLAN as tagged on the netgear switch.
i restricted the gui to the vlan IP.

It seems, freenas/freebsd doesn't allow setting the marking of the vlan/lag with the desired pvid, or i am doing something wrong.

It seems, freenas/freebsd doesn't allow setting the marking of the vlan/lag with the desired pvid, or i am doing something wrong.
FreeNAS does not impose that kind of restriction. Problems are bound to occur in an 802.1Q link if there if both sides don't agree on the the untagged VLAN. It can get confusing because of different terminology. I don't have an Netgear stuff, but I have configured it for customers in the past. I am 99.9% positive that PVID means the untagged VLAN. That would make sense because there can only be one untagged VLAN. All other are tagged. This is a screen shot from an older HP switch, and I know in this case that PVID is the untagged VLAN.
1598262559142.png

gwaitsi

Patron
On the netgear switch, you can tag the port, or the lag as untagged or tagged.

This is the working config at the moment
VLAN1 VLAN2
Port Port
1 3 1 3
2 4 2 4
LAG LAG
1 U T
2 U T

freenas
LAG 192.168.1.1
VLAN2 192.168.2.1 GUI allowed

what i expected to work was

This is the working config at the moment
VLAN1 VLAN2
Port Port
1 3 1 3
2 4 2 4
LAG LAG
1 U
2 U

freenas
LAG 192.168.2.1 GUI allowed

was i doing something wrong?

I can't make heads or tails of what you just posted as the columns don't line up. Only one VLAN can be untagged on any link.

gwaitsi

Patron
I can't make heads or tails of what you just posted as the columns don't line up. Only one VLAN can be untagged on any link.

The working config (not as desired) is
2 x LAG interface (on switch)
1) Trunk - vlan1 = Untagged, vlan2 = Tagged
2) freebas - vlan1 = Untagged, vlan2 = Tagged
no member ports are tagged on the switch.

On freenas
LAG 192.168.1.1 (although no GUI access, can still be pinged)
VLAN2 192.168.2.1 GUI allowed

The desired config - that doesn't work

2 x LAG interface (on switch)
1) Trunk - vlan1 = Untagged, vlan2 = Tagged
2) freebas - vlan2 = Untagged
no member ports are tagged on the switch.
freenas
LAG 192.168.2.1 GUI allowed

GUI allowed or not could be based on the bindings. It will never work if the different sides of a LAG don't agree on which VLAN is tagged. I can't see any way your desired configuration would ever work. The one that is working makes sense to me as to why that works.

gwaitsi

Patron
GUI allowed or not could be based on the bindings. It will never work if the different sides of a LAG don't agree on which VLAN is tagged. I can't see any way your desired configuration would ever work. The one that is working makes sense to me as to why that works.

if the LAG is Untagged with PVID 2 then, it should treat the interface as vlan2 on the switch side.
The problem appears to be LAG interface on the freenas side can't have a pvid set. which is the essence of my question.
can a pvid be defined for the lag interface, if so, how

Aug 25 09:12:51 nas epair0a: Ethernet address: 02:1f:d0:00:06:0a
Aug 25 09:12:51 nas epair0b: Ethernet address: 02:18:25:00:07:0b
Aug 25 09:12:51 nas kernel: epair0a: link state changed to UP
Aug 25 09:12:51 nas kernel: epair0a: link state changed to UP
Aug 25 09:12:51 nas kernel: epair0b: link state changed to UP
Aug 25 09:12:51 nas kernel: epair0b: link state changed to UP
Aug 25 09:12:51 nas kernel: epair0a: changing name to 'vnet0.1' <--- here is the problem. I need this to be vnet0.2 no?
Aug 25 09:12:52 nas kernel: lo0: link state changed to UP
Aug 25 09:12:52 nas kernel: lo0: link state changed to UP

Last edited:
can a pvid be defined for the lag interface
The short answer is no. Untagged is untagged. Period. PVID is a switch construct. The switch could have one port where untagged frames should be associated with VLAN 1, another port where untagged frames are associated with VLAN 2, etc. That is the reason the switch has PVID so it can decide which VLAN should be assigned to UNTAGGED frames for each logical port. Each port (or LAGG) in FreeNAS is a free standing link. Thus, frames are either tagged or not.

gwaitsi

Patron
just discovered i don't actually need to assign an IP address to the lagg interface, so now i have lagg with freenas on the desired vlan.