Jail vs plugin

gunnahafta

Dabbler
Is there any benefit to running a plugin versus the same app within a Jail in regards to performance. For example if I run the Plex plugin does this consume more\less\the same CPU and memory usage rather an running up a separate Jail and installing Plex on the Jail?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I doubt there's any different in performance between a plugin and a standard jail. The biggest difference between the two is having control to administer a standard jail yourself and not be reliant upon a plugin manager to keep things up to date for you.

kherr

Explorer
I found having a Plex jail is much easier to maintain/update. Your not reliant on having the plugin updated vs. just using PMS_Updater.sh to do it for you with the Plex.tv provided update.

Yorick

Wizard
As others have said, plugins are jails, just ones that you don't create or control directly. The flexibility of a jail is quite welcome. Depending on how a Plex jail is set up, it can be updated automatically with a pkg upgrade -y && service plexmediaserver restart that runs in crontab.

gunnahafta

Dabbler
Thanks all that's pretty much what I have found myself. I'll stick with the jails there doesn't seem to be much of a CPU or ram overhead given how many jails I am running now.