It shouldn't be this difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVB

Contributor
The upgrade to 9.2.1.7 has really got me confused. While I can see and copy (finally!) my shares I can't make any changes to them nor can I add data which is not a good thing or an improvement in my book.

My system can't get much simpler which is why I can't believe I am having such a hard time with this considering everything worked prior to the upgrade to 9.2.x.x

The main computer is Win 7 pro which hasn't changed since well before the upgrade.
Freenas box is AMD 945 x4, 16gb Memory, 3TB Seagate x10 zfs2 - again no changes.

Windows login (admin) is I'll say Bill with password

This is a clean new install with auto volume import and new build of shares since my last thread of a few days ago. No var or chmod changes this time.
Freenas user is Bill no password, group wheel, no home directory
ZFS pool is Media
Shares are Media, Pictures, Audio, Movies - all Windows ACL
Shares are all Browsable to Network Clients, Export Recycle Bin, Show Hidden Files, Allow Guest Access.
Owner of all volumes is Bill, group wheel, full permissions

All folders in all shares are shown in Windows as read only and I can't change them, delete them or add to them.
In Windows owner is shown as Bill (unix user\Bill) full control

One other thing you might find interesting is that I can't destroy the dataset Pictures, nothing happens at all - the data is still there and the volume is still there. I only experimented on that one volume since it is by far the smallest and I have 2 good backups of it. My thought was to destroy it and then see If I could rebuild it from the backups and see what if anything that would do.

I don't mind having a DUH! moment if the solution is that simple but if it isn't it should be.

How would you give Bill full control over these shares?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hate to break it to you, but "Bill" with no password is already in seriously shaky territory. Do you know how Samba behaves with accounts with no passwords? There's actually several possible behaviors that can result depending on other things. Things might be even worse if you are changing those dependencies so the behavior keeps changing. (LOL!)

But yeah, permissions aren't easy. It's something you really have to understand and figure out for yourself.

Good luck.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
A couple of quick points
1) FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 includes a check box on share to reset permissions to sane defaults. This is probably a good place to start.
2) set up some user accounts with passwords. You can simplify things by setting server passwords to be identical to workstation passwords.
3) create at least one group to have own the share. Don't use wheel.
4) if you find NTFS access controls to be too complicated, you can configure share definition access controls. https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.html#id2611921 These tend to be consistent across versions of samba. The only real trouble I've had with them in the past has been with documents saved from Office directly to shares.

AVB

Contributor
Thanks for the pointers. I don't know how the new version of Samba works nor did I know how the old one did either. I just know it worked for my setup previously. Since there are just 2 of us having more logons I didn't think was something necessary since neither the Freenas box nor the HTPC it is connected to have internet access (filtered at the router). Your suggestions will give me something to work on this weekend. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.