Issue with Warden Templates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Rose

Dabbler
Long story short: between needing to revert from snapshot, needing to use a previous boot version (accidently killed a python process, which apparently damaged the nginx hosting the WebGUI), and (re)applying updates I found myself with extra warden templates for the standard jail.

The feedback I have gotten so far is that deleting the warden templates will destroy my existing jails. Here is my beef/inquiry about this: when I run `warden template list` I get the following output:

Jail Templates:
------------------------------
standard - FreeBSD (amd64)
standard--x64 - FreeBSD (amd64)

Now, if I run `ls -l /mnt/vol2/jails` I see the following as part of my output:

drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 5 Jun 18 19:58 .warden-files-cache/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jun 24 00:32 .warden-template-pluginjail--x64-20150703100105/
drwxr-xr-x 17 root wheel 21 Jul 3 17:55 .warden-template-standard/
drwxr-xr-x 17 root wheel 21 Feb 16 22:09 .warden-template-standard--x64/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jun 24 00:56 .warden-template-standard--x64-20150703100106/

From the WebUI I can see the warden templates take up approximately 8GB of storage. My logic is that removing these templates will force me to redownload should I need to create NEW jails. However, the feedback I have is that deleting them will destroy EXISTING jails. Seeing as how there are only two jail templates being recognized (which is fine as far as I'm concerned) but there are four on the system, how can I safely do housekeeping without damaging my jails and/or system?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You can delete any of these that are not currently in use for any jail that you care about. At least, I have done so in the past with no ill effects.

Jonathan Rose

Dabbler
That's the thing though. It's the standard templates and there's no telling which jails are created with which version of the standard template since the last update downloaded another version. Hence the dilemma.

Jonathan Rose

Dabbler
Okay - I think I figured it out but not 100% sure. Active templates cannot be erased without recursively deleting the jails tied to them because they're seen as dependents, which is fine I guess. Now, here's something enlightening:

When I ran `warden template delete standard` and `warden template delete standard--x64` it showed me the dependent jails, snapshots, and templates' locations:
vol2/jails/.warden-template-standard
vol2/jails/.warden-template-standard--x64

*** Verified some of my jails are not tied to either of the warden templates listed above ***

So by this logic, I should be able to delete the following without consequence?
vol2/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail--x64-20150703100105
vol2/jails/.warden-template-standard--x64-20150703100106

Any ideas?

aytacdede

Cadet
did you delete templates ?
if you did please explain me i have same issue i have 1 pluginjail and 2 standard jails when i was testing i was creating jail and delete but i forgot to delete templates now system is stable and i dont want to make mistake and delete templates can effect my system

Jonathan Rose

Dabbler
Unused templates, yes.
With that said, templates used by active jails cannot be deleted (trying to do so generates an error prompting to recursively delete file systems for said jails).

Status
Not open for further replies.