Is lower freq Ram ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroNine

Dabbler
Hello,

So I got a Supermicro X11SSL-CF a few weeks ago and now I'm shopping for the CPU and RAM. Available in Europe through Amazon I have the recommended Samsung RAM 16gb modules but only 2133. I was planning on getting a Xeon E3-1230 v6, but the base frequency for the RAM on the Intel spec sheet states a minimum of 2400 for DDR4.

Do you think this will be an issue or can i safely go ahead with the purchase of lower freq RAM?

Thanks.

On a side question: I'm kinda split in between getting a 1225 or a 1230. I'm planning Plex with max 2 streams, some VMs, webserver lab. Do you think Hyperthread will justify the extra value for it?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm planning Plex with max 2 streams, some VMs, webserver lab. Do you think Hyperthread will justify the extra value for it?
It depends on the number of VMs and the amount of work they will do, but if you plan to run all that, you should build the stronger system up front instead of needing to upgrade later. Same with the memory.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Hello,

So I got a Supermicro X11SSL-CF a few weeks ago and now I'm shopping for the CPU and RAM. Available in Europe through Amazon I have the recommended Samsung RAM 16gb modules but only 2133. I was planning on getting a Xeon E3-1230 v6, but the base frequency for the RAM on the Intel spec sheet states a minimum of 2400 for DDR4.

Do you think this will be an issue or can i safely go ahead with the purchase of lower freq RAM?

Thanks.

On a side question: I'm kinda split in between getting a 1225 or a 1230. I'm planning Plex with max 2 streams, some VMs, webserver lab. Do you think Hyperthread will justify the extra value for it?
2133 is fine for E3 platform. I use 2400 ECC on a 1230v5 and it down clocks to 2133.

Status
Not open for further replies.