Is it Windows or is it FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
First of all, Ive read many posts about CIFS, but all stop short of how really to communicate between FreeNAS and Windows 7. Yes I know this is a FreeNaS forum but it can’t work all by itself!!
My NAS Box Consist of the Following:
· Asus H87I-PLUS S1150 Intel H87 DDR3 mITX Motherboard
· G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Non-ECC DIMM XMP (F3-1600C9D-16GXM)
· SilverStone ST40F-ES Strider 400W Power Supply
· One Western Digital WD Red NAS Hard Drive 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" 64MB IntelliPower
· One Western Digital WD Caviar Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 3.5"
· Cooler Master Elite 343 Black micro-ATX Mini Tower.
· Cruzer Fit™ 8Gb USB Flash Drive
All New a week ago.
My windows laptop is Acer i7 processor Laptop 16Gb ran, 2 x Samsung 256Gb Solid state Drives no CD running Windows 7.
My Network is set to BE a Work Network and workgroup is the workgroup. My Account is an Administrator account.
I have followed instructions to the Letter about setting up Users, Volumes and Shares but either cannot See My FreeNAS box or Cannot get access to drives without permissions.

Twice I have started from Scratch deleting everything – in case I have some Mistake somewhere.
I cannot do much from the Console AS i only have a HDMI screen and it does not show the Full screen missing off the bottom lines.

FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 64 bit
I opened GUI via 192.168.1.2
Set the Administrative Email Address
Enabled Console Logging
Set WebGUI IPv4 Address 192.168.1.2
IPv4 Default Gateway set to 192.168.1.1
Nameserver 1 set to 192.168.1.1
Time Zone to Bangkok (I am in Thailand)
This last Time I did what I Consider a full setup I did the following.
I Set up User ‘Chris_joyson’ with Group wheel, with the same Spelling as my laptop login and Password as my laptop login.
So I then Setup Storage via ZFS
I have two 2tb drives both Western Digital one Green and one red, I bought the red with my main purchase via the internet and the Green locally to ensure I did not ge the same batch.
I therefore ended up a Mirrored volume called NAS_DRIVE, with no encryption.
I set my Permissions with ‘Chris_joyson’ as the owner and Wheel as the Group
Owner - Read, Write and Execute
Group - Read, Write and Execute
Other- Read, Write and Execute
However when I set Windows for my ACL the write disappeared from other.
Onto Sharing and as I only have windows 7 machines I required CIFS.
I created the following share:
Name NAS_1
Comment optional description
Path Points to NAS_DRIVE.
Export Read Only Unchecked
Browsable to Network Clients Checked
Inherit Owner Unchecked
Inherit Permissions Unchecked
Inherit ACLs Unchecked
Export Recycle Bin Unchecked
Show Hidden Files Unchecked
Allow Guest Access Unchecked
Only Allow Guest Access Unchecked

When I went to Control Service CIFS was already on.

Here I could see my FreeNAS drive and upon Clicking it I found NAS_1. I mapped drive Z tothe share.
So to Test I Tried saving a Sample file and was greeted with
“You need permission to perform this action”
I tried looking at everything then eventually Delete all settled to Re install as a Guest
But then My FreeNAS Disappeared from Windows altogether.

I have noticed this before and then Reloaded a fresh FreeNAS onto My USB and started again with similar settings and FreeNAS popped bank into Windows. However I have Noticed That the CIFS Service Cannot be shutdown even after Deleting all Shares, Volumes and User accounts that I Setup.
Where am I going wrong, am I barking up the wrong tree in blaming FreeNAS when it’s likely to be a Windows issue? I will try tonight to see if I can see the share on my Wife’s laptop Before Starting from Scratch again. Due to CIFS not being able to be stopped I have believed that may be the problem.
Sorry Iam At Work and havent sortedout logs yet, and if they are via the Consle and not the GUI then I dont have much chance.

rahul

Dabbler
Keep everthing as you set up last time and after your drive is mapped, if it asks for permissions to copy...Simply go to Storage> Volumes > (your mount point) and just below that you have an option of change permission and do as it is in the attached snapshot. You may specify a group if it is created. It should work and allow you to copy.

rahul

Dabbler
Untitled.png

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
Ok I'll try that but that doesn't sort the fact I can't see FreeNAS anymore.
Il do a full reboot and maybe try the next download 9.2.1.6

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
Winderful That worked a treat, so I had to tell it it was a Unix share!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.