Is it safe and reliable to run FreeNAS from a USB PEN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhbkweb

Cadet
Hi all,

Im a newbie and i want to start using FreeNAS and i wanted to know if to run FreeNAS in a safe, reliable and production enviroment i can run it from a standard USB 8GB PEN 2.0USB attach to the USB port on my server or should in order to really be realibale and safe should i run it from a standard SATA Hard Drive 7.000 rpm?

In a simple way what are the disavantages of running FreeNAS using a satandard UBS 2.0 PEN vs using a hard drive?

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
It is not only safe and reliable, but recommended, to run FreeNAS from a USB flash drive or a small SATA DOM. Recommend you read the documentation where you would have seen that.

fracai

Guru
It'd seem like quite a waste to run it from a standard hard drive. If you're concerned about reliability, remember that starting with 9.3 (scheduled for release today) you'll be able to run from multiple sticks that have been mirrored. Depending on how your hardware is configured, you could keep the sticks inside the case. I have my sticks connected to the internal USB header via a two port cable and I have that cable secured to the inside of the case. That way I don't have to worry about bumping the stick if I need to move the box or adjust the connected cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.