Is eSATA more recommended than USB for boot device ?

AlcSi

Dabbler
I've read many forum threads with experimented users saying USB is not anymore a reliable method for boot device, and indeed, my USB stick has CRC errors, even though I've installed 1 month ago.

Question is in title :
Is eSATA any better ? eSATA SSD e.g. ?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The only time eSATA becomes a problem is when the cable is accidentally unplugged or if you are trying to used a port multiplier. All the problems I have seen with eSATA have been down to connectivity problems. It would be better to put the boot drive inside the system where it is protected, but I understand there may be problems with that.

What kind of hardwarare are you using?

AlcSi

Dabbler
Thanks, I'm using a custom server made by a local tech vendor.

Now, traditionally, we used external boot devices to be able to plug them inside the second, mirrored FreeNAS, in case of failure of the first one.
That's at least what I was told by the guy who installed them. I'm not sure it even makes sens now, because the data is not 100% the same, some backups are made on the second one only, e.g.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks, I'm using a custom server made by a local tech vendor.

Now, traditionally, we used external boot devices to be able to plug them inside the second, mirrored FreeNAS, in case of failure of the first one.
That's at least what I was told by the guy who installed them. I'm not sure it even makes sens now, because the data is not 100% the same, some backups are made on the second one only, e.g.
I understand. If you want to keep an external boot drive, eSATA is a viable option.