Intermittent NFS issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phekno

Cadet
I have a volume that was originally set up as a CIFS share, but one of the applications I use to access said share, seems to have an issue with CIFS, so I decided to switch everything to NFS. So, I stopped the CIFS service on my Freenas machine and created a new NFS share. I've made sure that the user, group, userid, and groupid on my server (i.e. my Freenas machine), and all of the clients are the same. I can mount the share, but it seems like it's really hit or miss as to weather or not I can write to it. For example, I can try to copy a file from the client to the server right now, and it probably won't work (error is "Operation not permitted"), but I'll turn around and retry the copy, and it will work just fine. Am I missing a mount option in my fstab? Here's the mount line from my fstab:
freenas:/mnt/freenas /mnt/freenas nfs defaults 0 0
Anyone have any suggestions?

phekno

Cadet
Ubuntu 14.04.

EDIT: Ubuntu 14.04.03 LTS (more specifically).

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

To double-check, is nfs-common and rpcbind installed and running?

D

dlavigne

Anything in /var/log/messages (on the FreeNAS side) or on the logs of the client when the perms fail?

phekno

Cadet
Nothing on the client side or the server side. On the server side, I can see when the mount happens.

One thing that does stand out on the Freenas side, is when I changed permissions on the volume (from Windows to Unix for type, and changed the user and group to the user and group that I would be connecting from the client as), it fails to set new permissions, saying operation not permitted (Jan 18 08:53:02 freenas notifier: chmod: /mnt/freenas/20150826_100343.jpg: Operation not permitted). If I go look at /mnt/freenas (the directory I'm exporting), it's permissions are set correctly (i.e. the user and group are correct).

D

dlavigne

One thing that does stand out on the Freenas side, is when I changed permissions on the volume (from Windows to Unix for type, and changed the user and group to the user and group that I would be connecting from the client as), it fails to set new permissions, saying operation not permitted (Jan 18 08:53:02 freenas notifier: chmod: /mnt/freenas/20150826_100343.jpg: Operation not permitted).

That is by design to prevent users from accidentally clobbering ACLs.

I suspect that if you created a dataset with Unix permissions from scratch and copied some data there to mount, that the issue would go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.