Initial Access times

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvader

Explorer
this is my 1st freenas box.
IT guy, mildly familiar with *nix.
I haven't had much trouble setting things up and i've tuned ZFS a little and i'm getting decent transfer rates.
I have 2 issues, i'm hoping someone can help out with.
(i will list my specs below)

1) when transferring large SINGLE files (say a 2 gb file) i get about 120MB/s from my DVR to my NAS
when i group more than 1 file (say 4x 2GB files, or any size really) my speeds drop in half to around 40-60MB/s
any idea why a single file transfers fast but more than 1 and speeds are cut in half?

2) I was having trouble with a single drive spinning down frequently (every minute) but the other 4 obeyed what i set in the gui.
so I ssh'd in and issues ataidle -P 127 /dev/ada0 and now my drive doesn't seem to be spinning down every minute. GREAT.. i'm not sure if it's going to follow my settings of a 30 minute spin down time or not i have not got that far yet. but for now, it seems to be not spinning down every minute and that's great. however, when i go into a folder on the nas, i have to wait for 10+ seconds for the folder to come alive..
I bring up the previous comment about the spindown, because i realize that i was having to wait for the drive to spin back up before getting access. but now that it's no longer spinning down, i shouldn't have that lag/wait time to go into a folder.. once it comes alive moving in and around folders seems fine. but if i wait a few minutes (drive is still spun up) i get that 10+ sec lag again.
any idea what may be causing that?

edit: 3) so after reboot it appears my 1st drive is still spinning down @ 1 minute. apparently I have to issue that ataidle command upon every reboot.. any idea why?

Specs.
8.3 x64 free nas
ZFS raidZ + hot spare
3TB x6
intel 3ghz dual core
8gb ram
gigabit network
all clients win7
using CIFS
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.