Importing existing raid from Freenas 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

kana

Cadet
Hi,

I have an encrypted ZFS raid consisting of three hard disks and I unfortunatley see no way in Freenas 8 to import it:
When I use the "Import Volume" feature, it doesn't show me the three hard disks, so I'm stuck there, when I choose "Create Volume" instead, I do see ada1 to ada3 and can choose them, but it explicitely says that all data will be destroyed.
Configuration files from Freenas 7 seem to be incompatible, too.

What can I do?

What also confuses me pretty much in this context is the new GUI in this regard: Freenas 7 would show me all available hard disks, the new version 8 seems to be "volume centric" though and hides the disks outside a volume context.
This is a new philosophy I cannot quite get adjusted to at the moment, or did I miss something?

Kana

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Hi,

I have an encrypted ZFS raid consisting of three hard disks and I unfortunatley see no way in Freenas 8 to import it:
When I use the "Import Volume" feature, it doesn't show me the three hard disks, so I'm stuck there, when I choose "Create Volume" instead, I do see ada1 to ada3 and can choose them, but it explicitely says that all data will be destroyed.
Configuration files from Freenas 7 seem to be incompatible, too.

What can I do?

What also confuses me pretty much in this context is the new GUI in this regard: Freenas 7 would show me all available hard disks, the new version 8 seems to be "volume centric" though and hides the disks outside a volume context.
This is a new philosophy I cannot quite get adjusted to at the moment, or did I miss something?

Kana

Hello, I don't know how freenas 8 will behave with this encryption

but you can try export the zpool in CLI: zpool export mypool, then go to the gui and use the Auto Import Tool> Storage tab -> Auto Import Volume (icon in the top)

kana

Cadet
Oh sorry, I just saw it's no ZFS filesystem, it's a simple software raid 5 volume. Do you have a similar hint for that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.