How to throttle write and txg on new OpenZFS Pool version

Status
Not open for further replies.

eraser

Contributor
More research...

Found out that FreeNAS is not directly built from FreeBSD. FreeNAS is built from TrueOS, which is a version of FreeBSD used by the PC-BSD project (www.pcbsd.org ) .

According to a post I found, TrueOS is "FreeBSD with hugs" [ http://forums.freenas.org/index.php...freenas-distributions.15388/page-3#post-82483 ]. I think this means that TrueOS incorporates updates/patches that may not yet be in FreeBSD RELEASE or STABLE.

So the TrueOS link is most likely the reason why FreeNAS includes ZFS code that I can't find in FreeBSD RELEASE.

milkman_dan

Cadet
This isn't very surprising, as iX systems financially backs PC-BSD. The "lineage" here is pretty clear.

Personally, I'm glad that the cool stuff coming out of the OpenZFS effort is getting pushed into our hands more quickly. It does mean there are going to be some speedbumps and rough edges though. These tunables are a good example of that. Or the new exposure of replication real-time status and such not being expressed in the webGUI yet. I hope that the talks iX gave at SCALE, one of which was about joining/contributing to FreeNAS development, bears fruit so these rough spots can be refined more quickly!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, TrueOS is basically FreeBSD with whatever bits of -CURRENT or -STABLE FreeBSD code that the developers deem useful. I think I said that $N messages ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.