How to setup Windows Cif share in a Jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichTJ99

Patron
Hi,

So I am having a hard time setting up a windows cif share on Freenas within a jail.

2 weeks ago I managed to setup plex, then share the plex cif directory with the Richtj99 user I created. If I want to add data to plex, it is accessible.

Item1:
So now I setup Emby and was trying to do the same thing (for testing) and while I can setup the cif share, I cannot write to it and it seems to have 'guest' read access (not something I want).

I was trying to point emby to the plex directory but it cant browse to it via the network option & the path seems to fail.

Plex - 192.168.1.46
Emby - 192.168.1.50
Virtualbox 192.168.1.47 (also shared with Richtj99 access but i cant figure out how i did it the first time).

I watched the freenas youtube video but still cant figure it out. Any ideas what I am doing wrong (I feel like I am missing a step).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You're doing this wrong.

Your media for Plex should reside on a dataset (or multiple datasets), and you mount that dataset(s) in Plex jail and Emby jail. There is no reason to do what you are doing. Create the SMB share from freenas, and use the mounting capabilities in the jails to access that data.

RichTJ99

Patron
So to confirm, I want to make a dataset, lets say its called Movies. I dump my movies on that dataset.

Then after I go into the Plex jail & add storage making the source the Movie directory?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So to confirm, I want to make a dataset, lets say its called Movies. I dump my movies on that dataset.

Then after I go into the Plex jail & add storage making the source the Movie directory?
Yes

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek

Yes. And the 'destination' can be anywhere you like within the jail. Something like /media/movies. Then in Plex you point it to /media/movies and it will see everything

RichTJ99

Patron
Is there any issues in two different programs (or more) sharing the same data source?

So if Plex, Emby, MiniDlna all shared that data, it would be OK?

mattbbpl

Patron
Is there any issues in two different programs (or more) sharing the same data source?

So if Plex, Emby, MiniDlna all shared that data, it would be OK?
Yes, just be aware that some of these applications can be configured to write their metadata to this location. I'm not sure if conflicts can arise in that case - it would depend on what they store and their naming conventions.

Status
Not open for further replies.