how to colect the log after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ,
The server crashed last staturday ,I want to dig the reason .Because the /var/log is located in the memory disk ,all old log disappered .
Can I locate the this log file to non-memory disk ?How to ?

Thanks.

warri

Guru
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Settings

NOTE: by default, logs are stored in RAM as there is no space on the embedded device to store logs. This means that logs are deleted whenever the system reboots. If you wish to save the system logs, either:
  • configure a remote syslog server on another Unix-like operating system, or
  • create a ZFS dataset called syslog and reboot the system; FreeNAS® will automatically create a log/ directory in this dataset which contains the logs
If you make any changes, click the Save button.

Dusan

Guru
It addition to what warri said, the kernel crash dump will be in /data/crash. You do not need to setup this -- it works automatically (/data is on the USB stick).

It addition to what warri said, the kernel crash dump will be in /data/crash. You do not need to setup this -- it works automatically (/data is on the USB stick).

Hi Dusan,
I checked the /data/crash/file ,there's no record of crash .And it's werid there's no timestamp in the file ..tar.0textdump.tar.0textdump.tar.0

cyberjock

Inactive Account
thanks for your reply.

I am already have one volume using full disk space .Can I build new dataset on current volume,I am not sure if the dataset is based the volume or on the disk .

BTW, new dataset need to reboot the server ?

From the FreeNAS link provided....

An existing ZFS volume can be divided into datasets.

Seems pretty obvious to me....

Yatti420

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.