Help out a FreeNAS 8 newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3nnis

Cadet
Hi All,

I plan to install FreeNAS 8 on vmware esxi.

I will use the share for sharing movies, music etc

I suppose I will have a SMB share so that my WDTV/Windows PC's can pick up the folders/files.

I currently have a HP n40L server with 8GB RAM. But I have windows server 2008 r2 + exchange 2010 running with 4GB assigned to it and a win 7 pro 64 bit with 2 gb assigned to it. i.e I have 2 GB left. Is this enough for freeNAS 8? If not I can reduce the RAM on the exchange server to 2GB. So I can assign 4GB RAM for freeNAS 8.

I have the standard 250GB SATA drive that came with the HP but freeNAS 8 I believe doesn't recognise it. I have since purchased a seagate 2TB which I will use it for data storage.

Later down the track I will probably purchase another 2TB. Same hard drive. My data is not important to me so I don't need to run raid if not necessary.

My question is: should I run UFS or ZFS? Also is it possible to run on a single 2TB HD now and later add an identical 2TB drive and expand the volume to 4TB?
My aim is to maximise storage while having performance.

Cheers,
K.

StephenFry

Contributor
Your questions have been answered repeatedly on this forum and are in all FreeNAS/ZFS FAQs.

I recommend you read up on the subject a little bit and if you have any questions remaining, come back and ask for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.