Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopfarth

Explorer
Hi guys, I'm looking forward to all of the insight and help you have to offer and I'm really excited to build my system!

Brief intro, I'm a Cisco network engineer and haven't been a serious player in the server side of things for over 10 years. This project is growing out of a need to support a large Plex Media server I started last year and basically had spiral out of control.

I built the Plex system on my gaming rig, which was the only serious (i.e non-tablet) computer in the house. It is fairly robust with a Core I7 4770 and 32G of RAM. I dropped a JBOD of 4x 3GB hard drives in and spun up Plex. I created a download drone behind a NO-IP VPN on an old I5 Laptop a family member retired. It is running Sickbeard, NZBGet, and Couchpotato and dropping files on the JBOD for the Plex. After about a year, I am running out of room, and not happy with the idea that one dead drive means I can lose 700+ movies and 100+ series. I am also maxing out the Plex computer as soon as I hit 4 transcoding streams. Did I mention that my entire family and about 6 friends now use this as a Netflix alternative?

Cut to my new system:
Supermicro 2U 8 Bay server
Motherboard: X9DR3-LN4F+
CPU: 2 X Xeon E5-2650 8 core
RAM: 96GB DDR3 ECC
HD: 8 X 4TB WD Red 5400RPM

As I get into the build (all the components are showing up now) I am sure I will have lots of questions. If I stumble onto anything cool or have some great insight on how to build this thing better, I will post it up and try to give back.

See you in the forums!

droeders

Contributor
Looks like you have a good start with the hardware selection.

You should fully understand ZFS storage concepts such as pools, vdevs, expandability of different pool layouts, etc before you migrate your data. This will save you headaches in the future, and will ensure that you're making the right decisions for your environment.

I would start here:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

I would also recommend burning in your hardware properly. Search the forums for good links on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.