Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan Nekuda

Cadet
Hey guys, new here to the forums.

I am making the jump to a real NAS/Game Server for my house. currently I am running a desktop in my basement "office" as a file storage and minecraft server as well as doing some work on it. I am looking to add an ARK server and think i will be reaching the limits of being able to use the computer as a work computer while also running the game servers. so I have decided to snap up a real Server and dapple into getting that to run my NAS and game servers as well as adding a PLEX media server :)

I am hoping to use this Dell Poweredge R410 I got on Ebay. from what research Ive done it seams to be a decent starting point for a cheap server :) albeit loud as its only a 1U :/

I picked up a pair of Xeon E5645 Hexa-core 2.4Ghz processors to upgrade from the quad cores it came with. It might be overkill for my current plans but I prefer overkill to bottlenecks and expand-ability down the road lol. I also snagged 4 WD Black 1TB hard drives and 32GB of ECC ram for it as well. I know Blacks are not optimal for a NAS but from what I have read for now at least they will do fine until I expand, at which point i plan on swapping everything to Reds or even keeping this a gaming server with the Blacks and moving my NAS to a new server running Reds.

Ive been browsing the forums here for a while trying to study up for when the time comes to get down to business and have found some pretty good stuff so far and hope to learn more as i go :)

Feel free to let me know any tips and tricks you may have working with a Dell R410 if you have any experience.

Some background on myself, I have been working on computers since about 96' when I was just a little kid, my dad gave me a box of spare parts and taught me how to put them together to make a working computer.At one time I actually made a backpack computer out of spare parts with ambitious goals of making a set of glasses tethered to the backpack (think google glass, that was kinda what i was going for, but with 90's cheap hardware and a 8 year olds imagination/computer skills....it never happened lol) I got out of it in the early 2000's when I got my first laptop and pretty much just ran laptops since and never did anything but buy a new one when the old one broke/got slow. Now that I have more free time as an adult (ok so that's a lie, with 2 kids, working overtime at a job I love, a house and wife all to take care of its not much free time XD ) I have been getting back into computers and gaming a bit more, and hope to teach my kids how to work with computers too in a couple years when they are ready and getting back into some gaming.

Evan Nekuda

Cadet
here is a photo of the server as i received it, no drives or Ram yet. I am also looking at a redundant power supply kit.
17239894_10158263868805368_3039539623546737812_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.