Hard drive support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent54

Dabbler
I'm currently waiting on hard drives to get my build start but have a question based on something I read in a post else where. I'm using components I currently have (moneys tight) and the build may morph into more than just a NAS box a little down the road. So, to start out I'm looking at just installing FreeNAS straight up off a thumb drive and later when I have the time, I'm looking at installing Server 2008 and place FreeNAS in vSphere as I hear it's better than placing it in VMware Workstation.

My question is on hard drives. The drives I have on order are the Western Digital Red 2TBs. Now, I read in a post that that may cause a slight problem because of the TLER. Well at least the person said the TLER would need to be turned off when using ZFS as I'm pretty sure that would be what I would do in a straight install of FreeNAS. However, when I get the time and install Win Server 2008 w/ vSphere, I will be using a RAID config, which I would believe I would then need the TLER on. The reason I went with the WD Reds is because I've seen too many posts claiming regular consumer drives like the "Greens" have problems with RAIDs. I'm not really seeing too much in the way of a big difference in pricing. Any recommendations or thoughts? Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
We coverted this heavily in another thread. Search around the forum. I believe the thread is less than 2 months old.

Silent54

Dabbler
I found the post. That answers the question on whether it would be a problem in my initial configuration as FreeNAS would be doing the RAID setup not a hardware RAID. However, if or when I make the switch to a hardware RAID with a Win Server 2008 install, I will then have FreeNAS in virtual. I assume in that config based on what I read, I shouldn't have any worries about TLER and ZFS working together as FreeNAS's RAID drives will be virtual.

Status
Not open for further replies.