From tower to rack

joncy92

Explorer
Hi Everyone. I currently have a Supermicro X10Drl-i motherboard with 4 storage disks attached and truenas installed on SSD
I have the hardware housed in a tower case
I am now almost completely out of storage and need to add additional hard drives but I have no physical room to store them

I am looking to upgrade to a rackmount chassis and I'm wondering if I'm better off getting a 4u chassis and housing both the server hardware and disks in one chassis or separate the two by having the server in a smaller rackmount chassis and connect the disks via a DAS chassis (or something like that...)

I'm not sure what the benefits are of each but I'm open to suggestions.
I have a budget of about £800 but I'd rather not use all of that

Thanks in advanced!

Jessep

Patron
Business?
Home lab?
Noise/Sound requirements?

Current storage space?
Storage space growth rate?

Reasons you want to move to rack?
Or would you rather stay with tower (i.e. buy a better case)?
Do you have need for hot swap (very few do).

Easiest buy a Fractal Design Define 7 and additional drive trays (maybe additional fans, Noctua).

joncy92

Explorer
Business?
Home lab?
Noise/Sound requirements?

Current storage space?
Storage space growth rate?

Reasons you want to move to rack?
Or would you rather stay with tower (i.e. buy a better case)?
Do you have need for hot swap (very few do).

Easiest buy a Fractal Design Define 7 and additional drive trays (maybe additional fans, Noctua).

Home lab. Sound not really an issue. It can't be super loud but all the equipment is in the loft/attic so noise is pretty well insulated.

Ideally I want to move it to a rack mount case. I have a Unifi router and switch which are rack mounted so it's much tidier for me.

I don't actually mind the look of that fractal you linked to - my only concern is I'm already out of space and I'm looking to add 4-6 drives immediately and they will also fill up pretty fast with the addition home lab services I have planned (I'm a massive data hoarder).
With a tower case I'm not sure the airflow is good enough to cool down many drives packed together quite closely.

Investing in a rack mount case seems more logical in the long run

One problem I am having is finding a second hand/decommissioned one.
Supermicro in particular are impossible to find :(

Jessep

Patron
Define 7 will hold 14 drives (with additional trays). Though cabling would get annoying.

Cheap + LAF (loud as f***) would be:

Video tour/review:

Or poke around on that site for other options, I'm assuming you are in UK.

joncy92

Explorer
Define 7 will hold 14 drives (with additional trays). Though cabling would get annoying. Cheap + LAF (loud as f***) would be: Video tour/review: Or poke around on that site for other options, I'm assuming you are in UK.
T
Define 7 will hold 14 drives (with additional trays). Though cabling would get annoying.

Cheap + LAF (loud as f***) would be:

Video tour/review:

Or poke around on that site for other options, I'm assuming you are in UK.

Thank you and I certainly am in the UK. I thought with this store you purchase servers. Can you actually just buy cases 'unconfigured'. ?