FreeNAS to replace a Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNUser

Cadet
Good morning. First, I'm new to FreeNAS and anything not Windows. Brave or stupid could be used to describe what my plan is. I'm trying to switch from a Windows file server to a FreeNAS file server. I have the FreeNAS 11.1 joined to the domain, and can see the AD users and groups as I type in the drop down menus on the Change Permissions tab of the data storage I created. They do not show on the Users or Groups page in the FreeNAS GUI which I understand to be the correct behavior from other posts I've read here.

On the SMB folder under the storage volume I created I set the Owner (user) as Administrator and the Owner (group) as Domain Admins. This way Robocopy can run on the Windows file server under the domain administrator account and transfer the files to the FreeNAS box. I am planning on having all the permissions copied with the files/folders.

The Permission Type is set to use Windows on the SMB

I tried using FreeFileSync but it would not bring over the file permissions at all and it wasn't until I added the Administrator as the Owner (user) and the Domain Admins as the Owner (group) to the storage volume that I could even create anything on the SMB folder itself.

My question is, will this work or should I be setting the Owner (user) and Owner (group) differently? I couldn't find a guide on setting up FreeNAS to replace a Windows file server with domain users.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.

kdragon75

Wizard
Just a few things, Windows and NTFS use advanced ACLs to manage permissions, Linux, BSD, etc. by default use simple owner/group permissions. FreeNAS will support ACLs with windows shares but you need bothe the dataset and the smb shares set to "windows" mode. Also note these permissions are not stored in the filesystem but a separate database managed by samba.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also note these permissions are not stored in the filesystem but a separate database managed by samba.
That is not how it works at all. Samba maps Windows ACLs to NFSv4 ACLs, which are supported by ZFS. Possibly some stuff outside of the permissions proper, but still very much attached to the file in the filesystem.

kdragon75

Wizard
That is not how it works at all. Samba maps Windows ACLs to NFSv4 ACLs, which are supported by ZFS. Possibly some stuff outside of the permissions proper, but still very much attached to the file in the filesystem.
It would seem I have misunderstood some things. Thank you for the correction.

FNUser

Cadet
Just a few things, Windows and NTFS use advanced ACLs to manage permissions, Linux, BSD, etc. by default use simple owner/group permissions. FreeNAS will support ACLs with windows shares but you need bothe the dataset and the smb shares set to "windows" mode. Also note these permissions are not stored in the filesystem but a separate database managed by samba.
I didn't have both set to "windows" mode, only the SMB, I've fixed that now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.