FreeNAS: For Fun Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBug

Dabbler
So, I'll say up front that I have read the thoughts about using older/cheap/non-server grade hardware for FreeNAS. But, what I want to build will be no less than a for fun rig and no better than a secondary back up server. With that in mind, if you were going to build a similar system but could only purchase hardware from Craigslist or eBay what parts would you look for? DDR2 or DDR3? Single or Dual Socket? Consumer or Server Boards? Dual or Triple Channel? Share your thoughts.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I built a FreeNAS box on old desktop hardware and some very old drives so I could learn it before I went ahead with my current build using proper hardware. I'm very glad I did as I was able to figure out my working configuration and make all my mistakes on the practice rig.

I built a FreeNAS box on old desktop hardware and some very old drives so I could learn it before I went ahead with my current build using proper hardware. I'm very glad I did as I was able to figure out my working configuration and make all my mistakes on the practice rig.
And that is a third option. :p Test rig /= fun rig (not necessarily)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
if you were going to build a similar system but could only purchase hardware from Craigslist or eBay what parts would you look for? DDR2 or DDR3? Single or Dual Socket? Consumer or Server Boards? Dual or Triple Channel?
Consider a used single-socket server that supports DDR3 ECC RAM. Avoid RealTek NICs.

The system in my signature is just such a box, but to be honest, if I were buying again I'd get a brand new PowerEdge T20. When I amortize what I saved on a used box over the number of years I hope to keep it, I realize I didn't save enough to be worth buying used.

Status
Not open for further replies.