SOLVED FreeNAS Failed: Permission denied (publickey,password)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru
I actually solved this myself (woo hoo!) but thought it might be useful to leave this here in case someone else encounters the same problem.

I've finally got around to upgrading my PSU and whilst the box was open took the opportunity to install a SSD as a boot drive and retire the 2 USB sticks. Everything appeared to have worked perfectly following the steps below:
  1. Save FreeNAS config
  2. Shutdown, replace PSU and attach SSD
  3. Prepare install USB and replace boot USB and reboot
  4. Install FreeNAS to SSD and shutdown
  5. Reboot, changing boot order in BIOS
  6. Upload config (which reboots)
After that everything looks fine, although I noticed a Red alert with lots of error messages as per the title. When I checked the replication tasks, they had all failed.

Turns out that restoring the configuration doesn't preserve the Public Key, which needs to be copied back across to the replication user (default root) on the PULL machine.
  1. In Storage > Replication Tasks on PUSH click the View Public Key button and copy the contents
  2. On PULL in Accounts > Users modify the replication user (root) and paste the Public Key from PUSH into the SSH Public Key field
Hopefully after a few seconds your replication tasks will update and the errors will be gone!

Nick2253

Wizard
I've actually discovered a number of things that are not saved with the configuration file in my experimenting in the past. Do we have a list of things that the config file does not include?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Not sure, I don't run jails or plugins so my settings are pretty tame. Not had any issues that I can recall. But it would be a good idea to have a reference list of what is not included so they can be backed-up by other means (if possible).

Should start a thread on it. /hint hint

adrianwi

Guru
A thread might be a good idea. Just noticed it doesn't save the e-mail password either so any alerts you have set won't send.

And any scripts you might have in /etc run from cron need to be put back too :D

nojohnny101

Wizard
I actually asked this question a while ago and the consensus (although not confidently) seemed to be two things are not saved:

1) SSH key for replication task
2) encryption keys for pool

see thread here

Status
Not open for further replies.