Freenas 9.1 Jails not pingable from intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

N00b

Explorer
I have installed FreeNAS 9.1 nightly in a test box (physical kind not a VM) to take a look at the new jail architecture. After poking around it a while I have been able to assign an ip address to the jail that is resolving dns name and is able to install packages and download files using Deluge. For that I had to change the /etc/rc.conf file to manually start the loopback device as the loopback devise was not starting on its own inside the jail. However I am not able to ping the jail (ip address 192.168.99.27/24 default suggestion) from the other computers that are on a 192.168.1.0/24 network. Therefore I am not able to use the WebUI for Deluge and have to rely on the console. It seems that ipfw is enabled in this build (my other 8.3.1.R.p2x64 build doesn't have ipfw rules). See attached outputs from:

uname -a
ifconfig
cat /etc/rc.conf
cat /etc/resolv.conf

Would someone be able to help me resolve this please? Does anyone have instructions or to-do on how to configure the IP addresses for the jails in 9.1? Appreciate your help.

Attachments

• sandbox_9.1.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 236

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Did you program a route for that subnet on your router?

N00b

Explorer
jgreco - thanks a lot ;

It seems that was it :o I hadn't configured the system routing table on the router. Frankly, I've never done this before so it was not even on my radar! Well, you live and learn!! and I sure did learn today.
I have done it now and the jail is accessible from my network :)

I have configured the attached route - it's working so I guess it is right! A big Thank you.

sys_routing_table.png

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Awesome. I hope you take a few minutes to think about that, understanding how the networking works is important. Many users never get experience with multiple networks, so when it "doesn't work", it is very frustrating. However, it should seem obvious once you've thought about it that a randomly picked "other network" would not be generally reachable from your network without some specific configuration at the IP routing level. Otherwise, only your FreeNAS would have been able to reach the jail subnet (since it was implicit from the way FreeNAS was configured).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
9.1, being an alpha release, is not supported in the forum at all. If you find a bug you can submit a ticket at support.freenas.org. If you are not capable of finding a bug with FreeNAS and its not working for you then you probably shouldn't be using such an experimental release.

Status
Not open for further replies.