FreeNAS 11.3-U2 bhyve Windows 10 guest performance

bal0an

Explorer
I am on a quest to improve performance of my Windows 10 1909 guest on FreeNAS 11.3-U2. My guest runs on:
  • Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz, 4 Cores, 32 GB RAM
  • Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD
  • FreeNAS 11.3-U2
VM specs:
  • 2 Cores, 4 GB RAM
  • Virtio HDD, 4k volblocksize
  • Virtio networking
  • Windows 10 Pro 1909
  • Used via Microsoft RDP client and VNC Console
Measures already taken (also see here):
  1. Using VirtIO for storage and network. I've set up Windows with the virtio drivers mounted on a second CD drive, then loaded the drivers before partitioning.
  2. Cloned storage to 4K blocksize using zfs create -V 40g -o volblocksize=4k ssd850/SPF1X-4kblk and dd if=ssd850/SPF1X-16kblk of=ssd850/SPF1X-4kblk
I have tested my guest with UserBenchmark and found no measurable improvement so far. The benchmark shows an issue with 4k read and mixed memory access performance.

Windows 10 1909 userbenchmark - 4k zvol blocks.png

I found another performance hint on a FreeBSD forum about the CPU setup to use cores instead of sockets.
Ok, my problem was partly solved by adjusting the bhyve -c value. It turns out, when you pass on -c [>1], Win 10 will understand it as the number of CPUs being more than 1... which it doesn't support, does it. So the right thing to use is bhyve -c sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2. That will give Windows a pretty standard 1 CPU 2 core 4 threads with HT enabled. Now just for experiment's sake I made a separate Win 10 Pro installation using virtio-blk but cannot say whether it outperforms the older one with ahci-hd. Now that I'm using this optimized CPU setting (+6G RAM given it) together with NIC passthrough, it really is quick enough.

When checking my Task Manager CPU page I can see 2 sockets. In order to try out a 1 socket 2 core setup I'd need to change the VM setup in the config file as changing -c options is not possible from the FreeNAS webui.

Who knows how to accomplish changing the bhyve -c setup in FreeNAS?

Last edited:

sretalla