FreeNAS 11.2-U7 Mellanox ConnextX-4 Ethernet MCX416A-CCAT interface not showing up

cfxbruce

Cadet
Hi,

I have a two port MCX416-CCAT 100G ethernet install on FreeNAS 11.2-U7 (actually I tried from 11.2-U4 to U7). The interface is not show up as a configurable NIC. I see the below error during boot time that seem like the device is not able to register... anyone have any idea what would be the issue?

mlx5_core0: <mlx5_core> mem 0x39bffe000000-0x39bfffffffff irq 88 at device 0.0 numa-domain 1 on pci21
mlx5_core0: INFO: firmware version: 12.26.1040
mlx5_core0: ERR: enable msix failed
mlx5_core0: ERR: mlx5_register_device failed -6
device_attach: mlx5_core0 attach returned 6

Thanks,
Bruce

radambe

Dabbler
Is this a brand new card? Has it been installed in any other machine with any other operating system? Just a guess but perhaps you might try checking that firmware version. I would throw the card in another machine with CentOS 7 or FreeBSD, install the Mellanox OFED driver package for the OS version, and see if it works there.

cfxbruce

Cadet
Hi radambe,

yes, it is a brand new card. I did install it on CentOS 7 and it did works and I also have it on latest firmware (and later I tried every version of firmware listed on Mellanox site).

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hi radambe,

yes, it is a brand new card. I did install it on CentOS 7 and it did works and I also have it on latest firmware (and later I tried every version of firmware listed on Mellanox site).
It is entirely possible that the driver is not integrated with the FreeNAS build. They do make a custom version of the OS by picking the packages they install. Probably need to put in a support ticket / report a bug...

cfxbruce

Cadet
It is entirely possible that the driver is not integrated with the FreeNAS build. They do make a custom version of the OS by picking the packages they install. Probably need to put in a support ticket / report a bug...

But the model is listed on the hardware supported list, isn't that mean the driver should be already build-in? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with freebsd.

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.1R/hardware.html#ethernet

1575671183555.png

radambe

Dabbler
Can you bootup an install of FreeBSD 11.3 on this specific system and report back whether or not you're seeing the same behavior? If it works there, but doesn't work in an equivalently fresh install of FreeNAS, at least you've narrowed it down to FreeNAS being the problem.

cfxbruce

Cadet
Can you bootup an install of FreeBSD 11.3 on this specific system and report back whether or not you're seeing the same behavior? If it works there, but doesn't work in an equivalently fresh install of FreeNAS, at least you've narrowed it down to FreeNAS being the problem.

I did tried the 11.3-beta1 but it is showing the same messages I see in 11.2

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS version numbers are not equal to FreeBSD versions. The FreeNAS development team chooses what they want to include into their OS, it is just based on FreeBSD. If you need this, open a support ticket.

Last edited:

cfxbruce

Cadet
FreeNAS version numbers are not equal to FreeBSD versions. The FreeNAS development team chooses what they want to include into their OS, it is just based on FreeBSD. If you need this, open a support ticket.

I see, thanks for the advice. But I'm not using the paid iXsystems, can you kindly let me know how to submit a support ticket?