FreeNAS 11.2 (Stable Beta-1) Success with Eaton 5PX Networked UPS

Muzza

Dabbler
Testing Freenas 11.2 - Stable (Beta 1)
Wish to report success using Eaton 5px (networked) UPS. System shutdown gracefully after 30 sec as configured.
For this UPS model I used the driver available in the Freenas: MGE UPS SYSTEMS ups 5 various models (SNMP mode) NMC Minislot (Ref 66102) (snmp-ups)
Note: No errors or warnings present

Checking forum rules I think I'm allowed to post a link from where I purchased 2 of these on Ebay: New Eaton 5PX1500RTN 1440VA/1440W 120V 8-Outlet Rack/Tower Line Interactive UPS
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=New+Eaton+5PX1500RTN+1440VA/1440W+120V+8-Outlet+Rack/Tower+Line+Interactive+UPS&_sacat=0
They include the built in network card. Eaton list price is @ $2000.00 I paid $329. (They are new and the batteries seem fine). I have nothing to do with the seller or Ebay.

If I misinterpreted the rules please forgive.. I just wanted to share..
Rack.jpg

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I bought a 240v rackmount model (HP R/T3000 G4) made by Eaton
and rebadged as an HP product. It worked right out of the box after
the initial battery charge. A great investment for my rack for sure!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Checking forum rules I think I'm allowed to post a link from where I purchased 2 of these on Ebay
I am no moderator, but I don't see a problem with your post.
Want to tell more about your build? Looks interesting.

Muzza

Dabbler
I am no moderator, but I don't see a problem with your post.
Want to tell more about your build? Looks interesting.

Well... all the parts are listed in my post. Beyond that I was looking to build the most compact system that can entertain at least 10 drives. While I may have come across one other suitable case the air flow was horrible. The drives had to be hot-swappable. The system(s) use an Asrock motherboard as Supermicro offerings in ITX form factor were lacking. The iStar S-917 case is a bit pricey considering I installed 2 Supermicro 5 X 3.5 drive bays. It is however perfect for this project. I had to switch out the USB 2.0 front connector and replaced it with a 3.0 version. All fans were replaced by quite versions. Memory is always a touchy subject and it took me some extensive research to opt for the Samsung modules listed in the built list. Drives on "System 1" are standard HGST 4TB NAS drives but "System 2-Backup" has HGST 8TB He drives. Lucky the system is heavy or it would float away...
I found these cheap HP SSD's M2 drives 32GB SATA MLC (also on E-bay) so I installed them as L2arc cache. It's probably a waste for me as these are mostly media systems and not database intensive. I don't know what else to add but the first one came out so well I built a second.... Now I have to rebuild my Supermicro server into a rack case.. since the rack is so pretty :)
IMG_0817.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG

Last edited:

macatarere

Dabbler
MGE UPS SYSTEMS ups 5 various models (SNMP mode) NMC Minislot (Ref 66102) (snmp-ups)

Thanks Muzza, the driver you selected is working with my Eaton 5P 850. Eaton now refer to the card as a 'Network-MS Card'. Old JB firmware installed, latest is LB 2018/10/18.

UPS Mode Master.
Identifier* is just a string that comes through on a notification email, I've used the form hostname-cardname-powersource e.g. storage0-Network-MS_Card-Eaton5P850. I will probably use a power source other than the 5P 850 with the 5P 850 only to provide signalling.
Driver* MGE UPS SYSTEMS ups 5 various models (SNMP mode) NMC Minislot (Ref 66102) (snmp-ups)
Port or Host name* 192.168.2.250

FreeNAS 11.2-U5. FreeNAS SNMP Service is off, Network-MS Card SNMP service is on, V1, port 161.

Last edited: