FreeNAS 11.2 not letting HDDs sleep

andrwhmmr

Dabbler
Hi everyone.
I successfully upgraded to Freenas 11.2 from 11.1 U6 via the GUI.

So far I really love the Update, but since 11.2 something wakes up my HDD RAIDZ1 every hour at more or less exactly XX:35 hour.

This really annoys me, my power saving plan depends on that RAIDZ sleeping :D
Any hints where to look or what the culprit might be?

Thanks!
6AA09DE7-E44D-44DB-B3BB-339BAB9B6C07.jpeg E9FD66D5-8639-4302-949D-9A2AFFA08B8D.jpeg D113B105-C7A7-41F1-BFCB-94B02A0173E8.jpeg

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You must have made a lot of setting changes (once upon a time) to get your drives to sleep to begin with because that is not a normal configuration. You just need to go through and figure out what seeings need to be reset back to your customized configuration. The default configuration is for the NAS to be on all the time.

andrwhmmr

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply. The settings I made to let the drive spin down are all intact. I just set the HDD Standby Time in the „Edit“ Window of the corresponding drive.

I guess there is just some process that wakes up the HDD at XX:35 oclock... Hmpf

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Could it be a SMART scan?

I noted the sleep settings for drives in the pool settings page of 11.2, so at least the option is pretty much in the open there. I don't see the savings for my drives due to nightly backups by computers, etc.

andrwhmmr

Dabbler
Hm, maybe. I saw that collectd went haywire at 8:35pm via top in the io mode.

I now disabled SMART in the options just to see if that changes anything.

I will also have a look into the collectd config, if I can find it.

andrwhmmr

Dabbler
Okay nope, SMART is not the culprit HDDs spun up 5 Minutes after I put them to sleep, dang...

andrwhmmr

Dabbler
So it is also not iocage having its storage on the RAIDZ, besides the fact that there were no jails running at all...

walti

Cadet
Hi andrwhmmr, same issue here: after updating to 11.2 my HDDs won't standby anymore.
Besides the settings in the drives, I also moved the system dataset to the SDD I use to boot. I guess you also did a similar change. But after the update all this does not help anymore, the HDDs keep eating Watts all day long...

I reported the issue here:
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/69645

7oby

Cadet
Same here: After updating to 11.2 no standby anymore. System dataset is on SSD.

Pushing the drives manually to standby by e.g. "ataidle -S 5 /dev/ada0" works, but they'll wake up after some time.

Also interesting: My drives are encrypted and locked after reboot. Even in that case they won't spin down. While the drives are locked, the iocage is not accessible. That implies to me moving the iocage to the SSD as well wouldn't help:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ng-the-iocage-dataset-to-an-other-pool.70168/

tkk

Cadet
Hi, is there any update on this?
I'm having the same problem. Drives won't standby no matter what I try. With 11.1-U7 it works.

walti

Cadet
Hi tkk,
they are looking at this, current target is to solve it for 11.2U3.

ric

Contributor
Same here: After updating to 11.2 no standby any more. System dataset is on SSD.

Pushing the drives manually to standby by e.g. "ataidle -S 5 /dev/ada0" works, but they'll wake up after some time.

Also interesting: My drives are encrypted and locked after reboot. Even in that case they won't spin down. While the drives are locked, the iocage is not accessible. That implies to me moving the iocage to the SSD as well wouldn't help:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ng-the-iocage-dataset-to-an-other-pool.70168/

I have the same issue here. My freenas system HDDs wont go to standby mode. All my Jails already migrated to a SSD, and freenas boot system running in a USB thumb drive.
I have four (4) HDDs that I want to push manually to standby mode.

How do you enter the above command to make all the four HDDs go to standby mode in one line? Do I need to use comma or semi-colon to separate every command on each HDD?

I even instruct the drives to immediately go into Standby mode but that didn't make any difference. See attached screenshot.

Attachments

• command_to_push_drives_manually_ro_standby_mode_freenas11.2.PNG
    command_to_push_drives_manually_ro_standby_mode_freenas11.2.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 561
  • HDDs_not_spin_down_freenas.PNG
    HDDs_not_spin_down_freenas.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
There are many factors really. It's also hardware dependent.
Please provide the details of your system.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
There is a whole laundry list of changes that must be made to a FreeNAS system before you can get the storage drives to sleep. Search the forum, this has been discussed repeatedly. A FreeNAS system would need to be custom configured from the start to be able to spin the drives down because the swap space that is by default on the storage drives would need to be stored elsewhere. You would also need to move the system dataset to some other storage. Many things need to be changed from default. It is not a simple thing, but if you search the forum and build a system for the purpose of making it able to sleep, it can be done. It is not made to work that way from by default and it is not an easy switch.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. This is not a bug.

7oby

Cadet
Hi, is there any update on this?
I'm having the same problem. Drives won't standby no matter what I try. With 11.1-U7 it works.
For those suffering from this regression in 11.2 it has been identified that the collectd job polls for system temperatures. This prevents certain drives from spinning down. The current walkaround is to disable S.M.A.R.T. on the drive level (not the service itself, but the S.M.A.R.T. capability in the drive properties):

freenas_disable_smart.png
You may have to power cycle your drives and/or reboot the system to have them properly applied. Future versions of FreeNAS will provide better fixes. More details here:
https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/N...issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-93109

JohnV

Cadet
There are many factors really. It's also hardware dependent.
Please provide the details of your system.

Hello Chris,

i am from Germany. I have the same problem with my 2 HDDs. They won't spin down. I used the newest Version of FreeNAS. I moved the swap space and the system dataset. Is there a complete instruction for the installtion with the option to spin down all HDsD? I am not a pro Linux guy. Without the HDD Sleepmode, i can't use my NAS.

thank you for your help

John

floyd71

Dabbler
PS. This is not a bug.
I would not say it is not a bug.

If is foreseen and expected that disk can go to sleep mode (spun down), and you cannot make it through controls on WebUI (which is method to be administer this operating system), or any other way, I am not sure what name shall be given to this behavior of system.