Fix current problems before adding new features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellegj

Dabbler
Currently testing out 8.0.1-RC1.
My request is that current problems be fixed before adding new features that might introduce even more problems. I mean, come on, it's a NAS. The most wanted feature must be security for stored data with all the options that comes with that, like monitoring, reporting and ZFS rebuild functions or whatever you wanna call it.
I'm very new to BSD and ZFS, but from what i read doing google searches is that ZFS stores configuration data on the drives, and that FreeNAS dont use this fully. I mean, if the CLI commands for ZFS config is in the system it is darn important to me that any changes done with them also shows up in the GUI even if i cant modify them in the GUI, i still wanna see them there. For example: I created a raidz2 volume with a spare drive, i then created another raidz2 volume and wanted to add the spare to that as well, could not be done from the GUI from what i could see, but with the CLI commands it worked, but it does not show in the GUI. If I'm right (which i might not be) all this is stored on the drives somehow, why the heck not read it from there instead of a separate database or whatever being used.
This is one problem i have come upon myself. I have searched the forum and seen quite alot of problems with v8+.
Also in the GUI add explanations to the different options. I have had trouble finding information the swap partition's and what there used for, in the GUI it just says "Swap size on each drive in GiB, affects new disks only. Setting this to 0 disables swap creation completely (STRONGLY DISCOURAGED)." I tried searching for why it is discouraged but without luck. I now have it set to "0", cause if i set to anything else and a drive fails, the system wont shutdown or reboot.

Sorry for the long post, but this is just a few of the things i come across so far.

marcusmarcus

Explorer
My request is that current problems be fixed before adding new features that might introduce even more problems
Did you read the release notes from 8.0.1-RC1?
This is the first release candidate for FreeNAS 8.0.1. At this point, we are no longer
including new features or functionality into 8.0.1. From here on out, only bug fixes and
regressions will be addressed.
From my understanding, betas are for adding new features/functions and bug fixes and Release Candidates are for bug fixes only.
Sorry I can't help or provide any input for your other issues.

pellegj

Dabbler
Did you read the release notes from 8.0.1-RC1?

From my understanding, betas are for adding new features/functions and bug fixes and Release Candidates are for bug fixes only.
Sorry I can't help or provide any input for your other issues.
Yes I did read it, but from what i can see the "Feature Requests" is not for a specific version (or maybe 8.1 since there is a sticky for the roadmap).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Generally speaking, "fix current problems before adding new features" is a poor strategy. Many new features are simple changes, such as when I recently asked for the addition of "noatime" to reduce flash writes. This probably took some dev five minutes, three to read the manpage to find out what I was talking about, one to find the mount invocation, and one to commit the change. On the other hand, many bugs, such as the problems with netatalk, are not even entirely within the realm of the FreeNAS team, as they are dependent on external packages. The existence of multiple developers, with various areas of expertise, and a comprehensive bug tracking system means that the group intelligence can focus on several things simultaneously with good success. A personal rule like "focus on one thing at a time" doesn't map well to group work models.

ProtoSD

MVP
BUT, 'generally speaking', I agree with @pellegj. While I think the devs are very responsive and are really trying to make an effort to get the core features stable, I think things have been rushed to get the next 'rev' out and ended up being a sloppy release, like RC1 & beta-3. It's really frustrating to see the potential and the bugs get fixed and then the release comes out and the fix isn't incorporated, like several things with RC1.

And then you have the whiners that automagically want everything from version .7 incorporated into version 8 *NOW* when the core isn't even stable yet and can't seem to get it into their heads that version 8 is a complete restart... :mad:

So @Pellegj, thanks for saying what you said! :cool:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That seems like more of a "fix current problems before doing a release." Most software projects are tracking multiple bugs, multiple feature requests, and other stuff all at the same time. The bug database for FreeNAS is actually pretty interesting to investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.