Failing Disks, Best Way To Upgrade While Replacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndboost

Explorer
I currently have the following system:

The case has 8x hot swap bays, im currently utilizing 4x of them.

----

da0 and da1 are failing with unreadable sectors and i wanted to start putting a plan of action together to upgrade the array to 2TB WD Red's. I will eventually be going for:
  • 4x 2TB WD Reds
  • 1x 2TB WD Red - offline spare
I have a few questions as I've never tackled doing a disk swap like this on freenas (ive only done single disk replacements).
  • how can i swap the HDDs out without losing data, if im using different size and brand disks
  • if this isn't possible, will i need to create a new zraid with the new disks and then how do i get the data onto the new disks efficiently
  • if i can swap the HDDs, do i do it one at a time slowly as money and time permits and let the raid rebuild each time?
EDIT:
So after posting this i realize its probably in the wrong section, and the freenas manual has outlined how to do the steps.. It seems the best method is to replace one drive at a time as money permits, resilver each time.

Will my zpool auto grow once all disks are replaced?

--
FYI, this is X posted on reddit.. http://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/1qjwno/failing_disks_best_way_to_upgrade_while_replacing/

cmfisher4

Explorer
Yes, when the last drive is replaced that matches the size of all the other (larger) drives, the size will grow.

ndboost

Explorer
thanks cmfisher4, ill get "Mission Control" to start signing off on me buying 5 $100/ea HDDs :D lol

Status
Not open for further replies.