Expose App via Nginx Only

HarryMuscle

Contributor
I'm trying to configure a custom docker app to be exposed via Nginx only. I've read that in order for the Kubernetes DNS to resolve the addresses of Docker app pods you need to expose a port, even if it's a dummy port that nothing listens to. So I've done that on the docker app. Then in the Nginx configuration I use the domain name that points to the Kubernetes service in front of the docker app pod. However, that results in a 502 Bad Gateway error. As far as I can tell it's because the Kubernetes service doesn't forward the port I'm trying to connect with to the Docker app pod. If I configure Nginx to use the IP address of the actual Docker app pod (and not the Kubernetes service) everything works as expected. Unfortunately the pod IPs change and they don't have a static DNS entry associated with them unless you assign them a static hostname which apparently isn't possible in TrueNAS Scale. So how does one do what I'm trying to do? Expose an app via Nginx without exposing a working port that would allow someone to bypass Nginx.

Thanks,
Harry

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You're right... not sure how I did that... that thread got its answers anyway, so all good...

I guess I can answer you since I'm here again...

You're probably best to look at TrueCharts (truecharts.org) under the Manual and Quick Start Guides.

You can use Traefik as an ingress controller (instead of your nginX reverse Proxy) and it's all pretty simple if you follow the guides.

You can even expose apps that aren't inside the TrueCharts host by using an "External-Service" TrueCharts "fake app" to point Traefik at it.

Traefik is able to use kubernetes ingress to its intended purpose and doesn't require publishing ports outside the pod to make services available.

HarryMuscle

Contributor
You're right... not sure how I did that... that thread got its answers anyway, so all good...

I guess I can answer you since I'm here again...

You're probably best to look at TrueCharts (truecharts.org) under the Manual and Quick Start Guides.

You can use Traefik as an ingress controller (instead of your nginX reverse Proxy) and it's all pretty simple if you follow the guides.

You can even expose apps that aren't inside the TrueCharts host by using an "External-Service" TrueCharts "fake app" to point Traefik at it.

Traefik is able to use kubernetes ingress to its intended purpose and doesn't require publishing ports outside the pod to make services available.
I was under the impression that Traefik gets all of its configuration from how Kubernetes is setup. Meaning, how would Traefik know about the port I want to proxy if I'm trying to avoid telling Kubernetes about it to avoid exposing it to the outside world directly? Or is there a way to manually tell Traefik to proxy an additional port from a certain pod?

Thanks,
Harry

sretalla