Error: "freenass cron[2201]: _secure_path: cannot stat /root/.login_conf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_Hayward

Cadet
I am new to the world of BSD, and FreeNAS I've been using Linux for about five years or so (PLEASE DON'T BAN ME). I have been playing around with FreeNAS for a couple of months now and i recently ran into a problem setting up SSH on my file server. First off i am using an older Dell Dimension E520 with a pentium D 2.8 GHz dual core processor, 2 GB of DDR2 memory with a Raid1 setup with 2 2TB hard drives. As i was saying i was trying to configure ssh on my file server and i thought i messed something up because it wouldn't boot anymore. so i re-installed the OS. I use a 4GB cf card in a CF - SATA adapter and i install from a cdrom. I've went through about 10 installations up to this point but only recently i've been getting this error message:

freenass cron[2201]: _secure_path: cannot stat /root/.login_conf: Not a directory

like i said I've done a bunch of new FreeNAS installations and this is the first time I've encountered this error. I've been googling around for this answer but i don't find any posts that give me an answer i can use to fix the issue. Any help, suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. if there is already a post out there that deals with this please point me in that direction. Thanks.

louisk

Patron
I'm a little confused here. The title of the post is about NFS, the error message is related to cron, and you're saying you have trouble with ssh?

I think you need to either supply lots more information about how these three things are related, or choose one of these at a time to deal with.

What is the problem you're having with ssh?

ProtoSD

MVP
I agree with Louis,

Please edit your post title, I see nothing about NFS, this sounds like an SSH issue, but even then, that isn't clear.

B_Hayward

Cadet
Sorry, i was busy today so i was in a hurry when i started this thread; so i changed my title to what i wanted it to read in the first place.

I would also like to point out that i obviously didn't do a good job of explaining my situation, SSH was not the topic i wanted to discuss here. The only reason i mentioned SSH is because that was what i was trying to configure when i first noticed my problem. I was attempting to configure ssh on one particular install, and i re-booted my file server; then i started getting the "freenass cron[2201]: _secure_path: cannot stat /root/.login_conf: Not a directory" error message. I thought that may have been relevant to troubleshooting so i mentioned it. I re-installed FreeNAS. What i failed to get across was the fact that i have re-installed FreeNAS four times in the past three days and every time i booted FreeNAS i would get the "freenass cron[2201]: _secure_path: cannot stat /root/.login_conf: Not a directory" error message. more specifically i would start my file server, it would boot fine and i would get to the console setup menu. When i let it sit at the console setup for a few minutes it would start showing the error message, and also the number in brackets after the "freenas cron" would increment each time the message was displayed, before each re-install i would format the cf card to wipe all the pre-existing data and start from scratch.

So here is an update, before posting my reply i started my file server and i am no longer getting the message. i have been sitting at the console setup menu now for about 10 minutes and i haven't seen the error message; i haven't re-installed anything either. so much for learning something.

B_Hayward

Cadet
Ok so here is another update. before i booted FreeNAS as i stated in my last post i disabled the RAID setup in my Dell Bios. it booted fine; then i went back in and configured RAID in the BIOS of my Dell and i am getting the error message again. I didn't think RAID had anything to do with this error message so i didn't mention it in my previous post. Any ideas now?

Status
Not open for further replies.