Duplicati access denied errors

Gorf

Dabbler
I'm experimenting with Duplicati as a backup solution and I am finding that running it from within a jail with the pool mounted as a mountpoint in it is posing some challenges for permissions. I'm hoping to find some advice on starting Duplicati as root so that it can backup data with minimal issues. I've seen some kinda hacky stuff about adding additional GID's and stuff but I'm not really interested in that scale of a solution. Is it easier to directly compile Duplicati on the system itself outside of the jail?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you're using the plugin, the tools are right there in the rc.d file (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/duplicati)

Code:
# Enable duplicati:
# sysrc duplicati_enable="YES"
#
# Optional parameters:
# sysrc duplicati_user="<user to run as>"
# Default: duplicati
# sysrc duplicati_group="<group to run as>"
# sysrc duplicati_web_pass="<password>" **Don't use quotes
# sysrc duplicati_data_dir="<folder for server data>"
# Default: /config
# sysrc duplicati_port="<port to listen on>"
# Default: 8200

sysrc duplicati_user="<user to run as>" at the jail console should do it... maybe set the group to wheel also.

Gorf

Dabbler
I found that myself as well. However attempting to set it to "root" and "wheel" causes the service not to start. And I'm struggling to get it to produce logfiles to tell me why. Is there some constraint that prevents the services from running as root?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You probably need to assign ownership of the program (/usr/local/share/duplucati, or something like that) and maybe also the pid file.

Gorf

Dabbler
Seems to be more than that though. The WebUI won't start, there is nothing listening on port 8200, etc. And when I attempt to revert the configuration back to it's original state, the service basically never comes back to life and I end up having to destroy the jail and start over.

Edit: system logs show that they service supposedly starts correctly:
Code:
[2022/07/21 12:15:26] (DEBUG) iocage.__start_jail__():255 - Default IPv6 Gateway: none
[2022/07/21 12:15:26] (INFO) iocage.callback():71 - * Starting Duplicati
[2022/07/21 12:15:41] (INFO) iocage.callback():71 -   + Started OK
[2022/07/21 12:15:41] (INFO) iocage.callback():71 -   + Using devfs_ruleset: 1000 (iocage generated default)
[2022/07/21 12:15:49] (INFO) iocage.callback():71 -   + Configuring VNET OK
[2022/07/21 12:15:49] (INFO) iocage.callback():71 -   + Using IP options: vnet
[2022/07/21 12:16:01] (INFO) iocage.callback():71 -   + Starting services OK
[2022/07/21 12:16:02] (INFO) iocage.callback():71 -   + Executing poststart OK
[2022/07/21 12:16:02] (INFO) iocage.callback():71 -   + DHCP Address: 192.168.8.85/24

but if I attempt to hand start it from the shell, it starts and runs just fine.

Last edited:

sretalla