DNS and OpenVPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

STREBLO

Patron
So i've been trying to get OpenVPN setup in a jail so I can send traffic from some jails through the vpn jail. After setting everything up I was unable to access the internet so I decided to try changing my resolve.conf from my isp to Google's 8.8.8.8. I pinged out and was able to get a connection. Why would this make a difference? Why were my original values not working when they were working fine before starting OpenVPN? Also, will this revert back because freenas isn't on the same DNS and do I need to do something extra to keep my DNS set to Google, or should I not be using google anyway?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Because your ISP doesn't allow random Internet users to use their recursion DNS servers. From your ISP's point of view, from your VPN, you are just some random jerkwad out there on the Internet on some random IP address sending a request. Why should they answer it? (there are actually incredibly good reasons that they should NOT)

There are a variety of things you could do to "fix" this, but using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 is among the easiest to understand.

STREBLO

Patron
Of course, that makes sense.

Will my jail try to default back to what my FreeNAS has its DNS set to if I set my jails VPN to Google? Or if I change my resolve.conf will it just stay and work correctly? Is there anything wrong with using Google's DNS?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Of course, that makes sense.

Will my jail try to default back to what my FreeNAS has its DNS set to if I set my jails VPN to Google? Or if I change my resolve.conf will it just stay and work correctly? Is there anything wrong with using Google's DNS?

Don't know --try it, don't know --try it, and no, not really, in that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.