Directory Services not starting in 9.2.1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

hank

Dabbler
Hello all,

months back, I added Server 2008(standard) to my network to provide DNS/AD services. everything worked fine until I upgraded FreeNAS 9.2.1.5. Now the Directory Services will not start, (CIFS is on though, unlike BUG#4194). below are the messages I get just before FreeNAS declares "The service could not be started."

freenas notifier: winbindd not running? (check /var/run/samba/winbindd.pid).
freenas notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
freenas notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
freenas notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: FAILED

so I do winbindd, smbd and nmbd restart, then i'll just get the last line, Directory Services still will not start. of course, Windows network explore does not see the NAS.

[root@JIsNAS ~]# wbinfo -t
checking the trust secret for domain JI via RPC calls failed
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN (0xc00000df)
failed to call wbcCheckTrustCredentials: WBC_ERR_AUTH_ERROR
Could not check secret
[root@JIsNAS ~]# wbinfo -u
JISNAS\usr1
JISNAS\root
JISNAS\usr5

System Information
FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35)
JIsNAS.ji.com
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz

Active Directory:

Domain Name (DNS/Realm-Name): ji.com
NetBIOS Name: JIsNAS (i leave this blank, system fills it in)
Workgroup Name: JI
AD and DNS Timeout: 45

CIFS Settings

NetBIOS Name: JIsNAS
Workgroup: JI
Server maximum protocol SMB3 (i tried lowering it to 2.10 as suggested in one thread, didn't work)

smb4.conf is attached

in the 2008 server, DNS sees jisnas as host. I tried changing the NAS NetBIOS name, every time the server detects it and updates host name.
I can ping from FreeNAS to DNS, by IP or domain name and vice versa.

I apologize that I didn't note down the steps I've tried. after the first time I ran winbindd, smbd and nmbd restart (also extended timeout to 30 sec), all the shares showed up and I remapped all the PCs in the house and even saved a config. then it quit working, the next day, even if I loaded that config. another note, from a Linux PC (open SUSE 13.1) the share i mapped before this happened still work. but if I try to map a new place, it doesn't see the NAS anymore.

Attachments

• smb4_conf.txt
    12.6 KB · Views: 364

hank

Dabbler
OK, so I decided to take freeNAS off the Windows Server (2008 standard):

first on FreeNAS
Settings -> General, deselect Directory Services, from Active Directory to dash(or none). save.

Network -> Global Configuration
Change the Domain to 'local'
Nameserver 1, 2 and 3, change them to your favorite name servers, as long as it's not the Windows Server
Save

Reboot. this step may not be necessary or may be done at the end of all FreeNAS changes.

System -> NTP Severs, change to your favorite NTP server, as long as it's not the Windows Server

Services -> CIFS -> Workgroup, change it to WORKGROUP

then on Windows Server

DNS Server -> DNS -> server name -> Forward Lookup Zones -> your domain, delete all hosts for FreeNAS

DNS Server -> DNS -> server name -> Reverse Lookup Zones, delete all Pointer (PTR) to FreeNAS

on any client PC, FreeNAS is seen again from windows explore and all shares are accessible.

so last time when i tried to join FreeNAS to Windows Sever, i followed all kinds of write up, some from here and some from don't know where, and troubleshooting afterwards was even worse. now since I'm on the subject, I'd like to ask the good people here to give me an authoritative procedure to do this, I am truly grateful.

hank

Dabbler
that is an AWESOME write up! i followed it and now both Directory Services and CIFS are up - though you can't turn it off again ;). well, better than stuck at off position.....

but at the end I did have to manually run winbindd, smbd and nmbd before Windows Explorer could see any shares.

thanks, Mauirixxx

mauirixxx

Explorer
Also your specific problem sounds like bug #4874.

Read bug report 4874 - that's a clickable link, with a text file attached to that bug report that you can copy and paste into freenas to fix the CIFS turning on/off issue. Glad you liked the writeup, bigphil and I tried to be as thorough as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.