Direct Peer to Mac not stable and drops down below 1GbE

JoHapp

Dabbler
I know that thes topics comes up by time, but I read and searched a lot of those, which didn't bring up a result for me.
Somehow I do have the feeling it might also be a bug inside Scale or on Mac OS.

We are running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.1on a Supermicro with 2 NICs with 2 ports each, 10 GbE.
One NIC goes to a Switch for general usage, and the other 3 NICs are meant to connect directly to video editing workstations.

Each workstation / NIC has its own subnet. Like:
TrueNAS NIC 2: 10.1.98.1 // Workstation1 10.1.98.2 (Mac OS 10.14.6 with Sonnet 10GbE thunderbold adatper)
TrueNAS NIC 3: 10.1.99.1 // Workstation2 10.1.99.2 (Win10 with onboard 10GbE)
TrueNAS NIC 4: 10.1.97.1 // Workstation3 10.1.97.2 (Mac OS 11.6.3 with internal Sonnet 10GbE Ethernet Card)
The Macs are configured on 10GBase-T 1500MTU (also tested 9000) Full Duplex.

That does work. I can access the TrueNas GUI via the IP and also access the SMB.

But while I get constant good results with the Win10 - on any NIC - i only get very slow respond on the mac machines - also on any NIC. Tested with Cat7 cables in changed them in between. In detail with the Mac systems it is really strange: Sometime, after reconnecting, they start at a 10 GbE performance going up to 800 - 1000 MB/s and NIC control lights are all green. Then, after a while, the connection gets interrupted and one control light turns yellow, after that speed is at 10 MB/s...

If I don't use the direct cabel but connect them via our switch, they perfom okay at 500 - 700 MB/s.

I really don't know, how to handle that issue best. I will now connect them all via our switch, but it costs performance, and under heavy workload, that can be very frustrating. Any advise is highly welcome.