Dell r530 IDSDM and Boot Pool

j.lanham

Explorer
We've been having problems with USB boot pools failing because of overheating issues especially when installing updates, so my boss found an alternative in the IDSDM card. We installed the IDSDM and mirrored replaced the overheating usb installed in the back with the IDSDM. After fighting to upgrade the bios, we finally got it marked as a boot drive. The IDSDM card already mirrors itself to the second sd card on the drive, and this is hardware driven and not changeable, so is there any problem with removing the first USB drive and breaking the pool mirroring and removing the drive to just work off of the IDSDM card?

NugentS

MVP
You probably will have to change BIOS settings to enable boot from the IDSDM, but otherwise - I wouldn't have thought so

j.lanham

Explorer
You probably will have to change BIOS settings to enable boot from the IDSDM, but otherwise - I wouldn't have thought so

I already marked the IDSDM as the first boot volume on the server. That's why I upgraded the bios in order to be able to mark it as a the primary boot device. The whole question was can I just remove the USB drive it's mirrored with, do I have to detach it before I pull it or is there some other more approved way of breaking the boot pool mirror?

NugentS

MVP
I think you are going to have to do this in the command line as there doesn't seem to be an GUI way to do this